compressor woes...

...my Makair hot dog compressor just took a dump the other day. I've owned the machine for about 6 years and it's done a lot of on-site work for me, so I can't complain. Now I need a new one, and I know in 6 years things are different...anyone have a recommendation for a light weight compressor capable of running finish nailers and even a framing nailer on occasion?

Charlie Groh ...only dead fish go with the flow.

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Porter Cable makes a pancake compressor that you can buy at Home Depot. You can get it as a kit with either a finish nailer or a brad nailer or both. I think you can also get the unit by itself there too. I have one and it works fine (it will handle a framing nailer too BTW)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Thanks, Frank. I've seen that offer...thing is, I've got pneumatics up the ying-yang and don't need anymore; unless, well, you know! Is the PC fairly quiet? (oiless are generally pretty noisy...I know my Makair was...plus it is/was great to carry.). Are there any more out there?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Groh

i have the 2hp/6 gal pancake and it is quite nice... i manged to find the one with the 16 finish nailer as opposed to the 18 ga brad nailer... the former going for 299 and the latter 219... relatively quiet, but theni have it in the closet and it does not cycle that much when using it for brads. my neighbor borrowed it and he hauled it all over his kid's new house... and he loved it...

Reply to
WARRENRN1

I have the CH extreme (1.5 or 2 HP... 15 amps anyway) . Runs 2 framers ok, but pretty heavy for one gun finishwork. The little red CH onetank almost keeps up with one bradnailer.

If you want a quiet quality unit, I'd look into the Emglo oil bath units.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

I've got a Senco, Charlie...but I think it normally only comes as a package. Its light-weight (about 30#, I think), 1 gal., 125 PSI max, has a nice carry handle, and is balanced nice.

Keeps up nicely for what I do...1 brad gun or 1 framing gun.

But its only a rec unit. Don't know if it could do the job for you.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Trent©

How noisy is it? Is there another unit that would be much quieter?

Would it be able to handle light spray gun work (mostly sanding sealer and lacquer)?

Reply to
Top Spin

Can you say how quiet is "relatively quiet"? I need to get one for my son for Christmas to be used in a basement.

How would the 6 gal handle light spray gun work (sanding sealer and lacquer)?

Reply to
Top Spin

It appears that Emglo is now owned by Dewalt.

Do you have an Emglo unit?

Reply to
Top Spin

i have two portables. i need to sell one of them and it does not matter to me witch one i sell. if you are near raliegh N.C. one is an emglo [NOT BY DEWALT] and the other is a stanley bostich. the emglo is oiled and the other is oiless. both have speedy recovery and 4 1/2 gallon capacity. the emglo is about 8 years old. the bostich is 1 month old and hardly used. i will take 100.00 for the emglo or 200.00 for the bostich. in my opinoin the emglo is the better one because it is oiled. however the bostich is a very nice compressor. if you are close drop a note here i read this group several times a day. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Yes, I have the 1.5 HP belt drive/electric (20 yr old) clutched model in the shop. I've used two of their twin tank carry portables (side by side oiled and vertical oiled) for home construction 100+ times.

Reply to
Eric Ryder