Compressed Air Plumbing for Shop

On Fri, 18 May 2012 18:14:18 -0500, Steve Barker

It appears very little is of consequence to you.

Reply to
Dave

On Fri, 18 May 2012 18:16:25 -0500, Steve Barker

Hmmmmm.... real world or a*hole. You are so full of yourself aren't you? It's a real education watching you make a fool of yourself with most every message.

Reply to
Dave

Steve-

Sometimes you make useful contributions to news group discussions, sometimes your ignorance knows no bounds.

This current discussion falls in the later category.

Check the date on the osha letters. Hmmmm looks like Reagan or Bush was president.

Further, if you read the notice from the private company

PLASTICS PIPE INSTITUTE

355 LEXINGTON AVENUE, NEW YORK, N.Y.10017 212-370-7341

RECOMMENDATION B THERMOPLASTIC PIPING FOR THE TRANSPORT OF COMPRESSED AIR OR OTHER COMPRESSED GASES

Adopted January 19, 1972

The Plastics Pipe Institute recommends against the use of thermoplastic pipe to transport compressed air or other compressed gases or the testing of such piping with compressed air or other compressed gases in exposed above ground locations, e.g. in exposed plant piping. It is recommended that all thermoplastic piping used to transport compressed air or other compressed gases be buried underground or encased in shatter-resistant materials. In designing thermoplastic piping to transport compressed air or other compressed gases, the strength at the operating temperature, the pressure, the energetics, and specific failure mechanism need to be evaluated.

Colonial Engineering Inc. Thermoplastic Piping Systems

So govt & OSHA directives hold no sway with you........looks like it started as a non-government initiative.

I guess next you'll be arguing against changes / updates to seismic design code because they're based on "pencil pusher" research & analysis?

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Look here:

from OSHA and some state agencies, including an incident where an employee suffered a broken nose and facial cuts. Even if you are willing to take the risk, in a commercial setting it will be an OSHA violation with potential fine if there is an OSHA inspection.

Reply to
Larry W

So if you drive drunk 50 times without an accident, then ... Use a grinder without eye protection for years without getting something in your eye... Stood in a puddle once when using 120V power tools and nothing happened...

But don't worry about that, I'm sure those NG anecdotes prove that your PVC air plumbing will be safe.

Reply to
Larry W

Plonk #1

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Plonk #2. Into the black hole with you.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Seattle breeds a lot of them.

Plonk #1

Reply to
m II

...and ignoring gun controls.

--------

I guess next you'll be arguing against changes / updates to seismic design code because they're based on "pencil pusher" research & analysis?

cheers Bob

Reply to
m II

Yup, fine example of the pot calling....

Plonk #2. Into the black hole with you.

Reply to
m II

no, why? A simple ask and answer situation as i see it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Dave, i don't know what's up your ass, but i just try to go through life without interference from other people. I don't get in their business and don't expect them to get into mine. Everyone seems to be uptight about something and always going off about nothing. So, if you have a problem with me then filter me out. And thanks for calling me names. It's real grown up of you. Don't bother to reply, i've already filtered you out.

Reply to
Steve Barker

yeah, i plonked him also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Sat, 19 May 2012 11:34:54 -0500, Steve Barker

Why? You were given a substantial amount of advice, most of it pertaining to your safety and you tossed it aside as being completely irrelevant.

That's why you're an obnoxious snot.

Reply to
Dave

Hmmm seems as though most everyone is assuming Sch 40 PCV pipe not the hose sold specifically for air distribution. Seems like black pipe, while adaptable for the task is very difficult to work with and VERY difficult to easily add additional ports in the future.

I don't think the PVC specifically for air distribution will shatter and explode, just rupture at the weak point. Otherwise the hose reels for air distribution (like I have in my shop) would not be practicable.

IMHO

Marty

Reply to
Marty

Correct. It is made for liquid, not compressed gas.

Yes, unless you have threading equipment available.

Yes, it is a different material and is used extensively. We have thousands of feet of that type in our shop, but you'll never find an inch of PVC water tubing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I am not going to use PVC. Black pipe was was pretty much my going-in position when I started thinking about it and when I posted this. I am not ruling out pipe but as I Googled around I found some interesting approaches using regular air hose and shop made copper terminations. This is one of them --

decision yet, but this has appeal. My shop is a 1,024 sf garage that shares space with cars, but adequate. I use a french-cleat wall rail system that allows me to move cabinets and racks pretty easily if I want to change configuration of certain areas. The hose approach seem flexible because you can change routing and add service points fairly easily. Fabricating the individual copper service points might be a little fiddly, but when made they can be used in different places if I switch stuff around. Pipe - not so easy.

No decision yet but I'm kinda liking the hose system.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

Overkill.

Use air hose for the dr> >> Hmmm seems as though most everyone is assuming Sch 40 PCV pipe

> No decision yet, but this has appeal. My shop is a 1,024 sf garage

Reply to
tiredofspam

I'm retired and this is my hobby shop is so time is not a real big deal. But I am a retired tight-a**ed Irishman so money is a consideration. I'm probably over-playing it, but the purpose-made copper terminations look kinda classy considering everything else is hose.

Well - maybe not classy :^)

Reply to
RonB

RonB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w13g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

One thing I'd be looking at is making sure the hose connections are tight and solid. Not only are air leaks annoying, but if a connection lets go it not only makes a big noise, but the hose tends to go flying.

I've seen many hose clamps distort and break while trying to torque them down, but it may be the quality of the clamp.

Please keep us updated, I've thought about doing the same thing, especially since air hose is so much less expensive than pipe.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper