Composite decking fasteners

Hi I am building my deck (ACQ treated) and using the choice deck composite decking. I have 12" on center joists. The question is do I screw the planks at every joist or can I do every other? I.E. every

24" rather than every 12"
Reply to
dmr139

WHAT does the manufacturer indicate? or Try 24" and if that feels strange add them at 12"

Reply to
Leon

To add a little explanation of the try it at 24", composite decking tends to not be very rigid. If you fasten at 24 inches you might hear and or feel a slapping sound if the planks do not fit securely at each joist as you step on them.

Reply to
Leon

Well It seems fine at 24". No slapping no bowing, etc. I've put about 20 or so down with 24" spacing and everything seems great. We have had two very hot, very sunny days so I would expect the decking to lay nicely, but I'm not sure how this stuff reacts to fluctuations in temp. Granted I'm in Southern California and we don't fluctuate that much.

The manufacturer states that you should use 16" or 12" on center joists and that for 16" you should screw to every joist. They don't specify anything about the 12" option.

Reply to
dmr139

I built a TREX deck using 16" spacing and for July 4 one year had a bunch of people on the deck. Held up fine, but when this one man's monster fat son walked across it it shook a bit - had to do again, I'd go like you and maybe closer like 12".

I got lazy on install and only did 99% of fasteners, not 100% and there are still spots where I get that slapping noise from loose boards, just need a day to screw it down. Screwing TREX is a PITA, as stainless screws strip easily and you have to pre-drill, even then its a slow process and will nearly wear out a drywall gun.

Reply to
scott

Scott, I am using the Senco Duraspin DS300. Mates nicely to my Dewalt Drywall screw gun. The 08R250W screws are going in nice, no pre- drilling. I'm getting a little mushrooming but after a hammer tap and a day in the hot sun they disappear. I couldn't get the duraspin "no mushroom" version in a timely manner, but I would imagine they would work even nicer.

I can see while putt>

Reply to
dmr139

The manufacture's installation guide is available at:

Nova

Personally, I never regret overkill - would sure make for a solid deck.

Reply to
scott