You mean like Pluto the dog, sniffing a trail?
Who puts their face/nose on the floor when they're cleaning? I suspect
in some cases, some spilt Peruvian Marching Powder might compel some
to 'snort the floor'...
Or does mercury 'hover' on your planet? (hint: it's very heavy)
It does indeed 'hover' on my planet. (hint: it has a non-zero vapor
Lead Oxide also readily volatilises.
Only if the CFL was hot when broken and the other items cold.
Mercury liquid and the mercury vapor above it will form an equilibrium
that is temperature dependent. As mercury vapor is removed from
the air above the liquid more will evaporate until all of the liquid
While the vapor pressure of mercury is low at room temperature, it is
readily absorbed into the human body by inhalation, and is not nearly
so readily eliminated.
Thus spilt mercury in your environment will continuously accumulate
in the persons who breathe the air in the environment until it is
all removed from that environment.
The big problem I have with them is that they don't work worth crap
with any kind of electronic control. Not just dimmers, but they have
trouble with any X10 stuff or the like that doesn't use a mechanical
I have two on X-10, one on the appliance module, the other on a lamp module.
Works OK but I never need to dim those two. They are good in places that
need night lights or in difficult to reach fixtures as they last a long
time. I'll never convert 100% though, they can't do it all.
Garage door opener, now that might be a really good application, thanks
for the idea.
Other than that, I haven't been very happy with the quality of light from
CFL's. They're OK for the porch lights since they save some money on
electricity (although they seem to attract more bugs with the extra UV).
The last batches I've bought seem to last a bit better than earlier
versions, such that they may be lasting long enough to actually save money.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough
: B A R R Y wrote:
:> Jim Harvey wrote:
:>> You can get CFLs rated for ceiling fan use. They have higher vibration:>> tolerance.:> :> But do you need them?:> :> "Regular" CFLs have been great for me in tools, ceiling fans, and garage:> door openers.
: Garage door opener, now that might be a really good application, thanks
: for the idea.
: Other than that, I haven't been very happy with the quality of light from
: CFL's. They're OK for the porch lights since they save some money on
: electricity (although they seem to attract more bugs with the extra UV).
: The last batches I've bought seem to last a bit better than earlier
: versions, such that they may be lasting long enough to actually save money.
I've had much the same disappointing experience. Several didn't last long,
and overall the quality and intensity of light doesn't seem up to snuff.
Dimmer (even ones that are supposed to exceed the replaced incandescents in
lumens), and off somehow.
I'm hoping for breakthroughs in LED manufacturing, so we can leapfrog over
-- Andy Barss
Based on what I have seen in North Carolina with their
little experiment with LED's in stop lights, they
have a ways to go....
Maybe down the road but the current versions are not
up to the task.
Andrew Barss wrote:
They started installing them "about" 4-5 years ago
and I have noticed a fairly consistent outage of
the individual "lights" that make up the entire
Ex: The green light is made up of several leds
and a few will go out after a period of time. I
didn't pay much attention to that until I noticed
that a LOT of the lights had the same issue.
This might have a LOT to do with the vendor that
supplies the lights to the state.
Maybe it's a design feature that keeps the light
going even if there is a partial failure ???
J. Clarke wrote:
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.