Comments on Steel Buildings for Workshop

I am going to be putting up a steel building and am looking for comments. Listed below are of particular interest:

  1. Any companies that have good or bad customer serivce / reputation.
  2. Quoted cost to finish cost.
  3. Buy from a local or natioanl firm.
  4. How easy is it to insulate?
  5. Words of wisdom.

Thanks Craig Orput Cave Creek, AZ

Reply to
Pops

Graig, I did a little looking into on steel building for a shop, seeing as how i had no dirt to erect one on i didn't pursue it into any detail

I have been waiting for you to post, I got your e-mail and deleted by accident so i do not have your address in reference to the pine we spoke about send it again and I promise not to erase is again,

George in Mesa,

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I had Wick build a 30 x 45 foot Gambrel Roof 12 foot side wall Steel (pole) builidng for me.

The quoted cost - less concrete - a loft and interior finishing was about 24,000

Concrete with rat walls and all - I went with a 6 inch slab - was another 8,000

The interior loft I did myself in sections - and it has cost another about 3,000 (I used 12mm plywood from Canada for the floor - it only comes in AB, so it is a bit pricy).

I did 24 inch on center 2x6 studs and filled them with 6 inch R-19 batting for the walls - all the way to the end peaks - then covered them with T-111. Another about 4,000

I did some interior partitions as well.

The finals size of the shop is 20 x 27 - the rest of the barn is used for other things.

I am adding a Hot Dawg from ACME this fall for heat and I am insulating the underside of the loft and putting enamaled hardboard up for a ceiling.

I use 2 - 250 Watt Sodium Vapor lights for general illumination and have

6 - 2 tube 40Watt 4' lights for area work as will as two mobile 250 watt spots for when I want to do detail work.

Wick did a great job - it is the 17th barn they have built for someone in my family!

Hope this helps.

Doug

Reply to
doug houseman

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my 50'X100'X16 building I purchased from

they have been very good to work with on the building, and they answered the MANY questions I had while I put it up. Their buildings are red iron, not wood, and have nice heavy gauge steel panels. You can spec out your building online in just about any size you want and get an instant price from their system, one of the best e-commerce systems I have seen on the internet!

Words of wisdom??

A 5k sq ft building is a BIG project to build by your self! I finally broke down and hired some help to finish the roof, those 28'6" roof panels were just a little to large to install by myself.

William.....

Reply to
William

I just put in a 42 by50 foot thermally insulated,t stele building. About a half dozen contractors were interview and invited to quote. One of the middle bidders was selected.

There were cost over runs and the project was behind schedule. The effort resulted in a very nice hobby shop including a 24 by 24 enclosed wood shop with a planer, jointer,shaper, cabinet saw, chop saw,panel saw, classic wood bench and a drill press. The wood shop is a bit cramped. Still, all the machine items are on casters and that makes up for the tight quarters.

The building also contains a metal working machine shop, a office/ electronic shop and a weld shop.

If I had everything to do over, I would have written up a much tighter contract, including a penalty clause for falling behind schedule.

Reply to
Sumner Sargent

I just put in a 42 by50 foot thermally insulated,t stele building. About a half dozen contractors were interview and invited to quote. One of the middle bidders was selected.

There were cost over runs and the project was behind schedule. The effort resulted in a very nice hobby shop including a 24 by 24 enclosed wood shop with a planer, jointer,shaper, cabinet saw, chop saw,panel saw, classic wood bench and a drill press. The wood shop is a bit cramped. Still, all the machine items are on casters and that makes up for the tight quarters.

The building also contains a metal working machine shop, a office/ electronic shop and a weld shop.

If I had everything to do over, I would have written up a much tighter contract, including a penalty clause for falling behind schedule.

Reply to
Sumner Sargent

Doug, Your total comes to well over $40,000 for the finished shed. (Is this American dollars?) That's a bit scary, since I hope to build one in a few years. What alternatives did you check out?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I did a bunch of reserach on this a few years ago. Turned out that the total cost for a traditional balloon frame (stud) building was about the same as the cost for a metal building. Mine is 52x40. The interior is faced with OSB, the floor is Advantec (a composite plywood), the cieling is unfinished drywall. I've also got a 5' basement, and an "attic" that has an area about

20x52 that could easily be finished (the roof trusses used up about 10' on each side). the best part is that it matches the other buildings on the property - I don't have to deal with the ugly metal building look.....

--JD

reputation.

Reply to
jduprie

JD: What was the cost, and what do you use the building for?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I find that rather hard to believe, I don't see how you could build ( for the basic structure ) a 100' x 50' x 16' (clear span building out of wood framed construction (have you priced OSB lately? and forget plywood!) for less than the base building cost of 18k for the metal building I paid. You would have to also include the shingles and paint!

William.....

Reply to
William

the building cost about 65K total. Its fully heated/cooled, has a full oneida DC system (3HP), and is currlty the kids playroom, or my shop, depending on what day it is...... The price also includes a smaller attached room - about the size of a large

1 car garage, with poured floor, 14' cieling, and finished walls.

--JD

Reply to
jduprie

I think you misread - its 40x52. Vinyl siding takes care of the paint problem.

I agree that there's no way I could match the *base* price for a prefab metal building - I was talking about hte *complete* price of the structure. It would probably cost a bit more now - plywood prices have gone kinda crazy, but when I did the pricing out, the metal buildings came out about as expensive as traditional. I included the maintenance costs, and figured on a

20 year ocupancy. Traditional construction came out a bit less expensive up front, and a bit less in the long run too. Some of the factors that probably made a difference: I have lots of windows (windows for metal buildings are expensive for some reason) I needed a clear span (advantage in metal building - the trusses I ended up using were expensive) I needed a 2 story structure (cost a *lot* more to add the second story in metal) I needed something that would match the existing house, as it's attached (added a lot to the metal building cost)

The reality was (for me, anyway) that the balloon (the actual shell of the building - what the metal buildings call the "base package") was pretty inexpensive compared to the overall project. Foundation, windows, roof, heat, electric, etc all added up. Any savings that might have been realized inteh "base package" were lost because of special considerations that needed to be taken into account for the rest - things like you can't just staple up wiring, siding to match the existing place is extra, finished interior walls can't be aniled or screwed up - first you have to provide nailers, etc.....

Anyway, in my case, metal buildings were just not a good (read economical) solution.....

-_JD

Reply to
jduprie

No, I used 50x100x16 because it's the size I just finished ( well almost finished:-) building and I knew the price of it.

I will give you that, the windows are much more $$ for the metal walls and I'm not sure why, must be a volume thing.

Well the really expensive part of the second floor is the same the floor joists and plywood for the floor is common for both building methods.

The metal building does require that you support the ends of the joists on some sort of wall so I just used 2x6 studs to frame out an inside wall on the perimeter of the building where I have the 2 floors.

yep would be a problem with a metal building.

Most of the costs are similar for both buildings, they all need foundations, electric, heat, etc.... The roof is cheaper on the metal building by far, and lasts a lot longer than most shingles too. For the electrical I wanted to run all of it in conduit, so the cost for me would be a wash.

Hey maybe I should start a new thread with how to install the wires for my service. Can I run the 600 amps @480 Volt for my service drop on 18 gauge lamp cord instead of the dual 350 kcml I'm running:-)

I did not mean to imply that in your case that the solution you did was not a good choice, but rather for most buildings ( that don't have to match or attach to an existing structure ). The metal building is just about the cheapest way to build a larger building. On some smaller structures, or special cases like yours that might not be the case.

William.....

Reply to
William