Coffee Bean

??????? a bit of chatoyance ??????

I don't understand when used as a property of wood, would you please explain what you mean.

Reply to
k-nuttle

but definitely its own look. The main discriminator is its color. The wood I bought is more red - lightest similar to Red oak but darker features are nearly rose in color. He advised it works up well but it is prone to splitting. With an oil finish the color should he similar to Cherry.

The fellow I bought it from is an interesting guy. His family owns one of the historic buildings in Coffeyville and it's adjacent to one of the banks the Dalton Gang tried to rob. He advised on a documentary about the gang. He is an artist, a gun enthusiast and avid woodworker. It sounded like he makes a fair amount of money from his lumber business and a lot from identifying and cutting rifle and shotgun stock material from his lumber. He had two walls lined with square-cut chunks of figured 2-1/2" shotgun and rifle sized Walnut; and he was heading for a Tulsa gun show this weekend. As I recall he said he would get anywhere from $50 to $200 for each chunk; and some of the folks who buy them will resell them higher. I bought some Walnut, Red Oak, White Oak (quartersawn) and the Coffee from him at his standard price of $1.75. He sells poplar for around $1. All is air dried for 2-3 years and finished in one of his kilns.

I also bought a big chunk of Walnut that measures 58" x 18" x 2-3/8" thick - $50. I suspect there is another rocking horse inside of it somewhere.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

It describes wood that reflects light differently when viewed from various angles. See:

Nova

Yep, that's part of the problem, the pecan that makes the good nuts that you can eat doesn't make very good lumber, except for smoking meat. AAMOF, much of it is hybrid stock and anyone selling that stuff for hardwood lumber is ripping off the customer.

What we called hog pecan, and milled and used when I was a kid in S Louisiana, is what is intermingled with the different species of hickory in the hardwood wood pile. The trees are easier to tell apart, but once cut the wood is often indistinguishable in all aspects.

Reply to
Swingman

that the word referred to property of jewelry stones, and the like.

I guess someone old can learn some thing new.

Reply to
k-nuttle

Jack wrote:>

I believe iridescense describes the color changes on the neck feathers of blackbirds, as an example.

Jim in KY

Reply to
Jim