CMT Shaper Cutterheads

I've looked at CMT shaper cutterhead. Does anyone have any experience with this product? The knives in the set consist of about 40 profiles. Each pair of knives is made from high quality M2 steel of replaceable cutters.

Any comments would be appreciated. shaper would be appreciated.

I want to use the shaper to make misc. moldings.

Thanks

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie

I got the Jesada sets (3) which seem very similar. I am most happy with them. If I could do it over I would. But would have gotten at least one set with a 1.25 inch bore. All three are 3/4 inch. I don't do big runs of moulding and have not dulled them yet. But I can shapen them myself when I need to. I wouldn't recommend the rail and stile cutter set though. There is no way to adjust fit, other than buy new cutters. With the Jesada set, the hub is steel.

some harder woods I so get some wavy surfacing so I really feed as slow as is safe. I think this is more a function of 3/4 spindle rather that 1 1/4. But perhaps it is two blades versus three blades. I am very happy with the sets and they allow me lots of design capacity for low cost. By that I mean carbide. The CMT is nice and has a fantastic range of profiles. And when they are dull you can sharpen them yourself hopefully. They look very similar to a new product at busy bee.... item b2476

products/shapers/cutter head for shapers

I have been happy with mine. But for doing lits of hardwood work or a big molding run I would use carbide if I could. The mouldings I make are just for my furniture items I build and casings for my house.

John

Charlie wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Thanks for the information.

I have the JET JWS-22CS model with the 1/2 & 3/4 spindles. I was planning on using 4" cutterhead with a bore reducer.

Reply to
Charlie

A bore reducer is a bad idea. Use a 3/4 inch spindle on a hub with 3/4 inch bore. What is the bore of this 4 inch cutter head? If you are going to buy, buy what fits right. And watch your speed. It says max 9k. I turn mine at 7k and that is plenty fast.

John

Charlie wrote

Reply to
Eddie Munster

The CMT bore for the 4" cutterhead varies from 1 to 1 1/4". The 3" cutterhead has the 3/4" bore. With the 4" cutterhead, I thought I would have a better cut. I did have a concern about the bore reducer introducing a problem.

Reply to
Charlie