Cleaning rust off Stanley #15 plane

Absolutely. I'm hesitant to criticize Naal Jelly because, a. I haven't used it and b. it has the same active ingredient.

Most post was mainly aimed at the guys who still use stuff like WD-40 and a scratch pad and 3hrs of elbow grease (I hope they know it's the elbow grease and not the WD-40.... may as well be using cooking spray or kerosene), or some other product that has to soak for 3hrs.

The whole waxing and buffing out a saw top is beyond me, too. I'd rather be making stuff with my tools in those 3hrs than working on my tools for

3hrs.

I'm honestly not discounting, however, the therapeutic effect of listening to the radio, doing a mindless tasks with ones hands for an extended period of time.

Reply to
-MIKE-

One problem with wire brushing to remove rust - it CAN displace metal over un-removed rust - basically trapping the rust in the surface - where it WILL come back. Knocking off the loose scale, then using a chemical remover, followed by a good brushing, is usually best for cast iron and other rough/porous surfaces.

Reply to
clare

Exactly. I'm the original poster. I consider myself a pretty bright guy, but one of the most important components of that is knowing what you don't know, and not being afraid to ask about it.

The number of answers has certainly surprised me. I couldn't see them for a while because Google Groups is on the fritz. Thanks to all. Scotch Brite did the trick nicely. The plane was not that badly rusted.

Thanks to all.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
gdguarino

one of the most important components of that is knowing what you don't know, and not being afraid to ask about it.

while because Google Groups is on the fritz. Thanks to all. Scotch Brite did the trick nicely. The plane was not that badly rusted.

You're welcome. You should look for an old motor and put an arbor with a wire wheel on it. I clean 99.9% of all rust with just a soft wire wheel on a motor. By soft I mean I take off 4-5 layers of skin when I contact it. My motor is from an old washing machine I think, it turns at 1800 rpm. It's one of my most used tools in the shop. Today's washing machines/dryers have motors w/o a cover, so they don't cut it. It would clean up your planes with no effort.

Also, once you get it cleaned up, spray some TopCote on it, you will be happy.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Jack Stein wrote in news:j1bspe$f0u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Wire wheels are available for bench grinders, so if you've already got a bench grinder adding the wire wheel is cheap and easy.

I've used the steel wheel attachment on the dremel many times for cleaning ruts and gunk off of things. One thing I learned is that as soon as the first bristle flies off, replace the wheel. Others will follow soon.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm too lazy to be changing out wheels on my bench grinder. Also, with it on an arbor on a motor, the whole wheel is exposed making it easy to get into nooks and crannies, and odd shapes. When my kid leaves the horseshoes out half the summer, I can clean them up pretty good. To use my bench grinder I'd have to take off the wheel, the wheel covers, the tool rests and so on.

I don't own a dremel, but, I own a body grinder and have been wanting to by a wire wheel or cup for that for years.

Reply to
Jack Stein