Chisels: Marples ProTouch

Returned to Home Depot as unusable: 25 degree honed edge literally bent on heartpine lock face mortises.

Went back to Stanley's best.

Pleased to gain knowledge of any better chisels with a steel endcap.

Reply to
Wm Jones

Damned if i know

check my thread earlier this year on Marples chisels! :) HINT: I said they sucked! The edge crumpled right away. Of course the idiots that frequent the Wreck immediately assumed that I had abused the chisel...sigh. Funny thing is Sears chisels have held up fine. In fact I bought two different sets and have tried them all. I also have a Sears chisel from the 70's and it holds an edge just fine.

dave

Wm J> Returned to Home Depot as unusable: 25 degree honed edge literally bent

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I thought I was doing something wrong, when I busted chips out of my marples chisels. Thought the wood was too tough or I was taking too big of a chunk at a time. Nice to know my chisels just sucked.

Thanks

Reply to
Tom Eller

I recently started a thread about tools I was missing to build furniture. Someone mentioned chisels. In the cobwebs of my mind I remembered a set of Craftsman chisels I received in 1973. I dug in the older toolbox and unearthed them. With a couple of sheets of sandpaper and a piece of glass, I gave two of them a crude sharpening job. Hey! these things actually work very well after sharpening. Maybe they were manufactured before the P got added to the Craftsman name.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

To Wm Jones: be forewarned, it's not a pretty sight.

BAD, you might consider observing how this thread runs. How folks respond to the OP, etc. Compare to what happened in the earlier thread. Compare his original post to yours. Etc.

'nuff said

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I think they're still making stuff under the Marples brand name. Either that or everyone stocked tons of these things before the Corporation Corporation swallowed them.

Reply to
Silvan

JIm, I wasn't implying everyone here is an idiot! What I meant was that folks who automatically assume I must have used the chisels incorrectly are the bad element here who always figure ANY issue I report on tools is MY fault.

Did that clarify?

dave

Jim Wils>

Reply to