Cherry 5000 bft

SonomaProducts.com

Ditto...but...

Any indication if it has been graded or is just tree-run? Good deal probably anyway, but one wonders sight-unseen w/ no indication at all.

I could possibly be persuaded for a fraction if can find reasonable trucking arrangement. It's too far for my old truck to make reasonably, unfortunately.

Reply to
dpb

It is a lumber dealer in a depressed area, so who really knows? But for under a dollar per BF, including transportation... that pile could make a lot of people happy. My apprehension is that it is 4/4 and when you dress a 12" wide board......

I think I will go take a look-see... MI is next door.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, I know that's just 'round the corner for you...it's 800(?) mi here, maybe a little less, I don't go that direction much so not positive w/o looking it up.

Post again or e-mail if you do I'd surely consider long and hard even so and do some trucking checking--we have a plant here that sends trucks all over US so sometimes you can get a deal on a deadhaul return...

d p bozarth at s(outh)w(est)k(s)o(nline) net, not com

--

Reply to
dpb

Max

Reply to
Max

At one time I would have said: "How bad can it be?"....well..... it CAN be bad... I'll start off with an e-mail and a call. I need to know what it weighs.

Reply to
Robatoy

I've run into that with white oak "deals" on ungraded wood. One time I was offered about 500 bf of 4/4 white oak for $250. Most of it ran 4-6" wide. The mill owner gave me a couple pieces and said "see if you can do anything with these" as a sample of the pile. Well, it was pretty useless except perhaps for pallets. Every cross cut I took revealed more checks... there wasn't a solid piece to be found. In another case, more recently, another mill owner sold me about 400 bf for $200. In this case most of it was quite nice and there were a couple pieces of fantastic quarter sawn with huge fleck patterns. I'd want to put my eyes and hands on the wood before committing to an ungraded pile of wood like that.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

If it was oak or maple I wouldn't even consider it. Cherry, traditionally, is much more forgiving. My problem is that there is so much of it.

Reply to
Robatoy

-If it was oak or maple I wouldn't even consider it. Cherry,

-traditionally, is much more forgiving.

-My problem is that there is so much of it.

My motto when acquiring wood is that that "it only looks like a lot until you try to do something with it." Between grain and figure matching, color matching, defects, and the physical size of the wood it is often difficult to get all the "right" pieces out of even a large pile. I must have handled every piece of that batch of white oak ten times before I got the right set of boards together for a project. At that I was still wishing I had more to choose from...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"Robatoy" wrote

If it was oak or maple I wouldn't even consider it. Cherry, traditionally, is much more forgiving. My problem is that there is so much of it. ==============================

Well, in that case, you need some bad marketing advice!

Buy the cherry. Fire up that cnc machine and make tons of cherry trinkets and doodads. Then hit all the craft fairs and look bored while trying to sell them.

There ya go. No charge. ;-) __

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:19:45 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Got my address?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Robatoy wrote: ...

How much of it would you think you'd want/could take? I could probably handle 1000 bf; I'll check w/ the local cabinet guys in town and see if they might be interested and we could share trucking.

--

Reply to
dpb

Rough numbers tell me it is about 8 tons. I did get a positive opinion on the dealer from somebody. Working on it.

Hit the contact button on my website so we can take this off-line. topworksdotca

Reply to
Robatoy

I guess that is a lot of Cherry. Just think how much paint it will take to cover it all after you build stuff out of it.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:18:38 -0800 (PST), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Heck, they won't paint it. They'll stain and poly it, just like they always do.

Reply to
Larry Jaques