checks in wood

I know that sometimes boards get checks from uneven drying on the ends of a board. If cracks develop parallel to the grain, not on the end but further up in the turning, is this still called a check or does it have a different name? Why would a turning crack midway instead of the end also.
RHN Custom Billiard Cues
Building fine cues for real pool players at
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file
Upload is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.