cheapest wood i can use to make patio furniture

Hi Dica:

I also recommend against PT pine for any project you will sit on or eat on. As others have said, cedar is a relatively inexpensive choice. I've never actually worked with it, but I'm about to start a few projects with it. My local Lowes is moving, and they put everything on sale 75% off yesterday. I picked up 150 board feet of 1x8 Cedar for $60 (thats $0.42/bf!). With a clear finish, it should hold up well.

Regards, John.

Dica wrote:

Reply to
the_tool_man

Here in north Idaho, Douglas Fir is abundant as dimensional wood... bought some nice 2x4's for sawhorses yesterday. 6 cost me $17.

Will

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

The cost of wood varies with location and supply. For example, redwood is 3x the price of cypress here in the south-east, but redwood is comparatively inexpensive in California. To find the cheapest wood, you'll have to shop around suppliers in your area. I shop for low cost wood, and avoid the higher-priced wood except for smaller projects.

Reply to
Phisherman

You will save money by going to a local discount store and purchasing finished furniture. The reason to get into woodworking is to make quality products or to be creative. If you want cheap, don't make it yourself.

You can get some pretty good plastic chairs for $5. Wood products will cost more.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline