Cheap alternative to Krazy Glue

I'm making multiple small items and would need hundreds of clamps (literally) to hold everything in place while the glue sets. I tried Titebond II (I need some water repelency) but the set time was too long, the glue expanded and the bond was too thick/uneven. I then tried Krazy Glue (Gel Craft Type) and it worked perfectly. The only problem is Krazy Glue is very expensive ($3/ 2gm = .14oz) and I have no data to indicate what the bond will do over time. I've read second hand accounts that the Krazy Glue becomes brittle. The parts being glued are non-moving and I don't want them to be flexible but I'm uncertain whether some level of flexibility is desirable to account for wood expansion. That said, does anyone know of any readily available, cheap alternatives to Krazy Glue? I know Krazy Glue is CA but I'm leary of trying a total generic from the dollar store. I need a quick (nearly immediate) set and flow control (can't use sprays).

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

second

Contact cement or a good quality double back tape such as 3M offers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 9:49pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chrisgiraffe) doth query: That said, does anyone know of any readily available, cheap alternatives to Krazy Glue?

A couple of brads until the glue sets.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

Chrisgiraffe wrote in news:2059a2fa-fabe-49f7- snipped-for-privacy@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

You probably should avoid the total generic from the dollar store. I don't get good results from the cheap generic super glues, but the higher cost and quality ones are worth their cost.

This might be a good question to ask at one of your local hobby shops. Take a look at the yellow pages or hobbyretailer.com (not a plug, just a occasional visitor) for one.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Try your favorite search engine using "superglue bulk".

Reply to
Just Wondering

Go to a hobby shop that sells radio control airplanes, you can buy CA (the generic term for Krazy Glue)glue in containers as large as 8 oz. You can also choose between thin, medium, thick, and gel consistencies, as well as special blends for different materials.

CA glues should outlast us. I have 15+ year old model airplanes that have been baked in the sun, frozen, vibrated by engines, stressed by ugly landings and high-G maneuvering, and soaked with oil and methanol, that show no signs of glue failure.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Above is good advice and about all the OP needs.

Additionally, and in many instances, I've found that CA glues will also work for "after the fact" gluing of small woodworking parts that have already been finished where traditional woodworking glues would not bond.

Reply to
Swingman

I forgot to mention...

1.) CA can cure in the bottle over time, and when exposed to moisture. Don't buy TOO much! When I was using a lot of it, I never kept for than a 3 month supply handy, and kept it tightly capped. 2.) CA can be set up instantly by breathing moist breath or dusting baking soda on the wet glue. 3.) Your body can get progressively more sensitive to CA fumes. Use proper ventilation.
Reply to
B A R R Y

Do you refrigerate you glue? I have a bottle of "super glue" that has set in my refrigerator when not being used for at least 10 years and is good every time I use it.

Reply to
Leon

CA glue lasts well over a year if you do "NOT" cap it and keep it in the fridge.

cm

CM

Mine lasts well over a year if I cap it and keep it in the basement.

I do have to drill the dried glue out of the hole if it's been sitting for a while.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

I got mine about 8 months ago. It's still doing good, but has glued the cap on a couple times. A pair of pliers fixes the problem really quick.

It's been stored about room temperature, capped between uses.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Swingman" wrote

That goes back to that old adage,

"A true craftman knows how to cover his mistakes".

Another variation is, "It ain't a mistake if you can't see it".

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Leon" asked us

Do you keep it next to the mayonaise?

I can see a potential problem here.

Honey, can I keep a bottle of this highly toxic glue next to your prized peppers?

Hmmmm..., maybe if I find the right way to present it.

Hmmmmm...

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Try Lee Valley or any other decent woodworking supply store (or a hobby/modelling store as someone else suggested).

You can get thin/medium/thick viscosity glues in larger containers. You can also get accelerator sprays that set the glue almost instantly, at the cost of a somewhat weaker bond.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I did for a while, but had it go both ways, so I stopped.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Maybe that has something to do with climate?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Right. The plug acts like a cap, sealing the container.

I was using the larger bottles on a regular basis, which probably exchanged the air in the container more often than a bottle simply sitting on the shelf.

I also used a decent amount of accelerator, so I'm sure the fumes got into the bottle and didn't help.

Reply to
B A R R Y

"Lee Michaels" wrote

More like: "Yeah, those corbels were in the original design!" :)

Reply to
Swingman

CA is not "highly toxic". A relative is used in surgery and people have been using it for a quick and dirty band-aid for ages (it works fine, despite dire predictions of disaster from those who have never tried it). The main danger with CA is that it bonds moist tissue very rapidly, so you can glue your fingers together (which is annoying but not disastrous) or glue your eyelids to your eyes (which requires surgical intervention and may result in permanent eye damage).

But if it's really that much of an issue get a beer fridge for the shop.

Reply to
J. Clarke