Cheap 2-pin wood moisture meter

No, it's I who must apologize for net nannying. I think everyone who's been watching a NG for over 5 years or so begins to be annoyed by the greater percentage of posts. Growing old and getting cranky I guess...

But to answer your question more specifically: when I first bought the HF unit it seemed poorly constructed. Seemed more like a cheap plastic toy. Performance was equivalent. It had several "levels" of measurement, but they didn't measure accurately or even consistently. I suppose it would be OK as long as you don't mind a error margin of +/-

40% moisture content.

Returned it and got some clamps.

Now happy, H

Reply to
hylourgos

I'd say, for Dan's application, the lack of accurate measurement wouldn't be that big a problem if it was consistent -- he doesn't really know what the moisture numbers in the attic should be, and is mostly looking for a spot that's different from all the rest. But the lack of consistency sounds like it's definitely a problem.

I suspect that there's also the problem, even if you did buy it for something like Dan's attic, that in the future there's this temptation to use it for something else and actually believe the numbers it puts out.

Meanwhile, what I'd suggest to Dan as a practical solution is finding some sort of paper that changes color if it gets damp (I'm not sure exactly what to suggest, but some marks with a water-based pen on blotter paper ought to do fine for a start), and thumbtack bits of it up all over the attic in likely spots, and then after a few rainy weeks go up and look at them again and see if any got wet.

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses