Changing finish

Ten years ago I made and installed red oak interior window sills. Minwax stain and clear lacquer finish. Now in need of new finish due to sun damage. With light sanding would poly be compatable over lacquer?

Reply to
Warren Weber

Others will have their own ideas, but this is mine when dealing with a damaged finish. I would sand all I could off without damaging the stain color to keep the deteriorated finish from 1) contaminating my new finish, and 2) keep my new finish from bonding correctly.

After sanding and cleaning really well, I would hit it with a quick coat of shellac based sanding sealer or 2# cut of dewaxed shellac. Sand lightly, and apply new finish. That is if you are going to seal with poly.

But I would not use poly if I thought I might be refinishing these again in the future. You will have a mess with the crumbly or flaking poly, and not much will make it look really nice again. If you got 10 years wear out of a lacquer that is exposed to lots of UV, you did really well. I would go right back with that finish.

A bonus would be that if you put on lacquer the first time, you could sand, wipe down with lacquer thinner, and reapply your lacquer finish and skip the sealer/shellac.

When you want to recoat in a few years (don't wait until the finished is toast), scuff sand, clean with lacquer thinner and put some more of the same finish on it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thank you Robert. I will redo with lacquer which will be much quicker. Thanks for reply. Warren

Reply to
Warren Weber

Good luck!

Robert