Chair Rung Swelling Product

I've got a couple of wooden chairs that the rungs on the bottom have worked their way loose on. I recall seeing some products in the usual places (Woodcraft, Lee Valley, Amazon, etc) that would swell the wood up and permanently keep the rungs from coming out again. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I, personally, wouldn't trust trying to make the wood swell to fit. I would expose as much of the rungs' ends and work some epoxy into the joint. For some rungs and backrest slats I've repaired, I've drilled small holes in the back side or in some inconspicuous places and injected epoxy into the joint.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

To expand on Sonny's suggestion, you can buy kits to accomplish what he is suggesting. Obviously you could source the stuff separately.

Chair Doctor Glue supposedly swell *and* glues.

DerbyDad03

I've used Chair Doctor a few times over-the-years with mixed results. I'd say "give it a try - nothing to lose" but if the original glue-job <or subsquent attempts>

have totally sealed off the wood fibers - I can't see how it's going to work .. John T.

Reply to
hubops