casters - figuring the best wheel size

I've read posts here about problems using too-small casters for benches, etc. -- that they can be too hard to maneuver. Right now my DW TS is on the DW mobile base which is difficult to maneuver back and forth, versus side to side, because two of the wheels do not swivel . I have a not-so-level concrete floor in my basement shop. The saw weights about 300 pounds.

I am considering putting the saw directly on casters. Specifically these from Woodcraft:

They are rated at 300# each. I've read a few good reviews of them in the archives. Since I'd like to bolt them right to the feet of the TS, I want to use the style through which I can run a bolt, but that style only comes in 3". (BTW, I want the extra height - at least 4".) If the 3" size is too small, I'd then have to go to a 4" Grizzly caster such as this one:
They are rated

275# each.

My shop is only about 13x17, so the saw won't have to go far, and probably not often. But are these 3" casters an OK size for my TS? TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Bigger is generally better. Both models look good and have plenty of capacity. The advantage of larger wheels is the ease of movement over stuff on the floor. Larger wheels will pass over a wood chip or nail easier that the smaller diameter. The quality of the bearing make a difference also. Not being able to handle them, difficult to say how good they are, but maybe someone here has experience.

You can also find a lot of information on casters at Grainger and McMaster-Carr

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wed, Jan 12, 2005, 2:20am (EST+5) no snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com (igor) ponders: I've read posts here about problems using too-small casters for benches, etc.

As usual, depends. First thing I look for is what kinda weight they're rated for. After that, I figure it would depend on how even your floor is, and how clean. Rough surface would take bigger wheels to roll well, same with a floor littered with a bunch of crap.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

These will do the job well. The larger the better

Reply to
TaskMule

Yeah and I ignored them and bought 2"ers. Never again. 3" minimum, 4" preferred. 5" and bigger overkill for my needs.

Reply to
patrick conroy