Carrying plywood with small car

Mis-snipped and wrongly replied (it was pduck who asked about the Celica; I drive a Mazda Protege), but no harm done.

But I can add that >> >Does anyone know of any tricks or accessories for transporting sheets

-- jc Published e-mail is strictly for spam collection. To e-mail me, use jc631 at optonline dot net

Reply to
John Carlson

Be really careful with Yakima and Thule racks, along with impostors, when carrying sheet goods.

The manufacturers recommend tying any load that extends beyond the front lip of the windshield to the bumper. Wind coming off the hood an windshield can be scooped and compressed under the load, adding all kinds or weird stresses to the racks. I've been to Yakima's "Rack Dog" training, and they really drill it in, including showing plenty of "oops!" material from people who ignored the recommendation.

They are great racks though!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Can't seem to find it right now, but a few years ago I saw a carryall setup for cars. It hangs outside of /clamps onto the passenger side door/open window and permits the carrying of sheets of plywood immediately beside the car.

Reply to
Upscale

And you can see to turn/change lanes how??

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Actually, that's a good question. Most cars are over four feet high aren't they? I think the front leading part of the plywood was slightly south of the front leading edge of the passenger door.

Reply to
Upscale

And obviously you don't drive the interstates that much. It don't matter if they can see to change lanes or not, most people just do. No turn signal, no indication, no nothing. Let's just see if I can fit between this tanker and the truck following him, I have to get off of my exit!!!! Don't get me started about cars and lane changing's!

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

When I drive it's only city driving and the carry all I'm talking about certainly wasn't meant for high speed driving. I believe it was designed for a 30-40 mph trip home. Let me do a little searching and see if I can find a link to one.

Reply to
Upscale

It is possible to carry 4'x8' sheets in a Citroen 2CV - and cars don't come much smaller. Just remove all the seats except the driver's (3 minutes work at most) roll the roof right back, and you stand the sheets on their ends from above. Tranported as many as 6 sheets that way. The great thing is the car cannot travel fast enough for the plywood aerodynamics to become a problem. I loved that car!

Reply to
Don Mackie

Dave, I have the same problem with my 91' Celica and plan to order the Harbor Freight trailer #90154 for about $199 and a drawtite class I trailer hitch #24596. Kevin posted great pictures of this foldable trailer. All I have to do is work out the electrical hookup. Seems the best way to go.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Ok, I've gotta ask you this Andy. I have a tough time keeping up with all the posts here, but if I don't get to them in a week there is too much new stuff to read so I completely ignore posts over a week old. Dave's note was posted on Jan 4, over a month before you replied! How in the world do you read posts? Do you have a months worth of unread notes? Do you only read them every couple of months? Do you save notes you want to reply to, but haven't gotten around to it yet? I'm just curious.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Hello Larry, no I don't keep posts for months on end but I just re-installed Agent Newsreader on my system and apparently Prodigy does keep month old news as I found this post when I did a refresh groups list. Didn't see the original date of the post until later but I just happened on the topic and I gave it a try as the trailer issue is something I am trying to do now. I agree about the volume of posts here and I don't usually look back this far; but you can use the "find" function to locate posts you are interested in. I any event, even the "old" replies were helpful to me.

Andy

Reply to
Andy