Care and feeding of a RAS?

I bought a RAS (craftsman 10") at an auction today, despite the fact that I have no way to get it home and no place to put it when I do. Heck, for $70... I don't know anything about them, but someone told me the risers (whatever they are) were worth that much.

Is is okay to transport it on it's back? If I can do that it will fit in my wife's minivan. Otherwise I will have to take it apart, which I suppose won't be that hard, but leaving it in one piece would be better.

Is it okay to store it in an unheated dirt floor barn (upstate NY) for the winter? Should I wrap it in plastic, put oil anywhere to prevent rust, or what?

Hopefully I will have a bigger shop in Spring. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

If you don't bash the thing around you can put it on its back. Use a blanket and/or foam to cushion it during transport.

As long as it is kept dry store it anywhere. It need to be at room temp

60-90 degrees before you run it.

You will probably need to realign it after transporting it. A fairly simple job that checks column alignment side-side and front-back.

Reply to
marks542004

Give it some rust protection. Wipe the entire machine down with an oily rag and put a small wattage bulb (or "piano heater") under the machine to keep it warmer than the surrounding area. WD40 can be used in hard-to-reach areas.

Reply to
Phisherman

A small safety tip for you, if this is your first RAS. When crosscutting, the saw wants to jump forward as it bites into the wood. Don't think of it as a table saw upside-down and just yank the the unit toward you. You actually have to resist the saw coming forward--take gingerly bites from the wood, pulling the saw forward but resisting its desire to 'climb the wood'.

Hope this helps you.

Reply to
steve.cormier

RTFM. Get one from Sears. I have one from the 60s that I will give you. Or ping Rumpty. Or go to the old tools guys for one. Follow it. Good advice all around. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

NOT ON THE FLOOR! I am hoping I read this wrong and you were going to put if on a shelf. If you put it directly on the floor, it will attact the moisture and start rusting before you ever got to it. The Craftsman's aren't as good as the old Dewalts, I have one of those, and my B-I-l has the Craftsman. There was a guy posting one on ebay recently, he left it outside, in the rain and was trying to sell it for parts. I told him to contact

(he gave the model # and it had no available parts), he got more from them then he would have off of ebay, in that condition. Do check yours for the recall, as the earlier Craftsman were better (less cheaply constructed) then the latter.

Reply to
Randal

Above all else,=20

A RAS is a hungry beast with BIG TEETH.

DO NOT FEED the RAS any DNA samples to which it might take a liking.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ