Can twist be removed from carved panels?

My wife has been carving 2 16x32" panels made from 7/8" cherry that was air dried to

Reply to
eyeclinic

Sometimes wood is harder on the surface that it is inside (case hardening) so that removing material from one face releases internal stresses warping the board.

So if the panel really was dried to stability and is still at the same moisture content now as then, maybe this was case- hardening.

It may be possible to straighten it by moistening the wood and clamping it flat, then letting it dry again while clamped. My parents did that to straight out exposed ceiling beams that warped from plastering between them.

It may also help to remove some wood from the back of the panels, especially where it is thickest or convex on the back.

It would be a good idea to talk with a few other carvers too.

Reply to
fredfighter

Bill Judt has a very good article on gluing panels for just this purpose. Try woodcarver.com.....I think that is his web site. If not, then google his name.

Reply to
Brent Beal