Can someone identify this wood?

house, and close to where I work, but I just wasn't in the market for an indoor pool. :-)

That's Woodsorrel. If you like you're welcome to graze on what's left. I finally found a weedkiller that works on it so there is a lot less in my yard than there used to be.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Did you read the whole thread?

"I'm missing a small cabinet door, and I want try to make a replacement."

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 10/31/2009 12:56 PM Tony Sivori spake thus:

Yes. The first question is, why do you want to refinish the doors in the first place?

Are they in bad shape? Surface dirty? (If so, then they need cleaning, not refinishing.)

Is the surface scarred? Then you might have a case for refinishing. However, judging by that picture, they're in very good shape.

Do you not like the color? Then you may have to refinish.

If the existing finish is just a little dingy in places--maybe a little water damage here and there, missing finish in spots--then it might just need some spot retouching, not refinishing.

What I'm getting at is that refinishing wood is, in most cases, something to be avoided at all costs. Think about it: the first problem is getting the old finish off. This means using nasty poisonous chemical strippers; really no other way to do it. Then you've got to somehow scrape off the majority of the gunk (dissolved old finish), making sure you don't embed it in every nook, cranny and corner. Then you need to somehow smooth the surface, probably by sanding, in such a way that you remove the last remnants of the old finish *without* gouging or cupping the surface or sanding though the face veneer.

It is possible to have things like this stripped at a commercial facility that will basically dunk them in a huge tank of stripper, and basically deliver you stripped, ready-to-finish doors. (Although I don't know how well plywood panels will hold up in such a process without warping or delaminating.) And that'll cost $$$, of course.

If you somehow get through all this without screwing up (very easy to do), then you've got to stain the doors, taking care to get a consistent color without streaks or dark or light patches. Then seal the surface. Then apply several coats of clear finish.

So you might be biting off more than you want to chew here.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

In their current state, they are an eyesore. In the most worn areas (just under and around the handles), the finish is gone.

None of the cleaners I've tried has made them look decent.

I picked a spot to photograph where they are in good shape. I thought that might make identifying the wood easier.

I don't like the color, but I can live with it.

That pretty well describes it.

Instead of a full strip, I have hopes that a very light sanding (I've read how easy it is to sand through thin veneer) and application of a new finish will make them look a lot better.

Yes, I could end up needing new kitchen cabinets. Since that also happens to be my current situation, I don't think I have much to lose but my time and the relatively low (compared to paying for new cabinets) cost of materials.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Job one is to replace the missing door.

If that goes well, I do hope to address the finish on the rest of the doors. When I bought the house a couple of years ago, I had planned to replace the cabinets. But if I can make them good enough to suit myself, I could use the money saved elsewhere.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

though. My money is on yellow birch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Have you established what kind of finish is on there, Tony?

Reply to
Robatoy

On 10/31/2009 3:22 PM -MIKE- spake thus:

He also said "Especially refinishing *all* the doors". Just trying to forewarn him is all.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Getting an exact match without refinishing everything is something that is going to take some trial and error on a sample. The quick and dirty way to deal with the problem is to make the replacement door out of poplar, which takes paint well, and then paint everything.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm thinking that my best chance of it being less noticeable is if I also replace the missing door's mate. It is the cabinet above the stove, so except for the cabinet above the refrigerator, it is the least noticeable doors.

I've considered that, and I am a fairly skilled house and trim painter. Unfortunately I don't like painted kitchen cabinets.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Question: If you pick a small inconspicuous spot and saturate the finish with denatured alcohol, does it dissolve? If yes, then it's shellac you're dealing with, and that would be helpful information if you're going to attempt to match the existing finish.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

sump pump not working ? Drainage along the house not working ?

Mart> >> Is this Maple, Oak, or something else?

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

No I haven't. I was thinking of trying a polyurethane. Is that likely to react badly with the 54 year old finish?

91% rubbing alcohol did not remove the finish or the shine. The white towel I used to apply it did turn yellowish.
Reply to
Tony Sivori

You might think about replacing those doors with contrasting doors; something just different enough to look like it's supposed to be that way.

Reply to
krw

I'm not sure.

Maybe there wasn't a sump pump. Or maybe the power had been cut. It was just a vacant for sale house that was listed in the Multiple Listing Service (MLS). As soon as I saw that crawlspace, I went on to the next one.

This one is my house, in the ice storm Louisville had last winter. When that branch hit the roof at 3 AM, it sounded like it might end up in bed with me!

ice storm resulted in the worst power outage in Kentucky history.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Then try lacquer thinner. Let me know what happens then.

Reply to
Robatoy

My buddy's an engineer for AEP. He had to spend about a week down there helping your boys work out of that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

A couple of people I know went down there from here. We're used to that kinda stuff.

Reply to
Robatoy

Zzactly!

Reply to