CAM CLAMP.

do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

I built some of those (from Shopsmith) a couple of years ago.. The 2nd generation worked pretty good, I really didn't take time to do the first batch right..

Later I found out that harbor "fright" made better bar clamps for $5 than I made cam clamps, but it was a good experience and interesting project...

I also used cams on 3/4" dowels for bench pegs... works well..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Fri, Dec 14, 2007, 5:26pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (mac=A0davis) doth sayeth: I built some of those (from Shopsmith) a couple of years ago.. The 2nd generation worked pretty good, I really didn't take time to do the first batch right.. Later I found out that harbor "fright" made better bar clamps for $5 than I made cam clamps, but it was a good experience and interesting project... I also used cams on 3/4" dowels for bench pegs... works well..

Ah Mac, knew there was some reason you were still allowed to come here. LOL

I don't know where I found the plans when I made mine. I did do away with the metal bar, used a strip of 1/2" plywood instead. Cut the clamp straight too. Work gread. Put to together about a dozen, and had a lot of spare parts left to put more together later. But wound up using the spares in my planer sleds, and how my latest routeing jig. However, your post was the catelyst for my latest innovation.

I've been fiddling with my mitre saw mod - raising the bottom. I checked it yesterday, and as is it will cut 7 1/8" wide, ich is actually more than I anticipae needing it for. I I raise it a bit more, I think I can get a cut pretty close to the width of the blade - 10". However, the stickiing point for just now is fastening idt in place. I've been considering drilling 4 holes in the back (there'll be two pieces, requiring two bolts on each side, along with T-nuts, etc.). Then there's two holes in the base I could use to run bolts up thru. And each end has two tapped holes of unknown size and thread - which would mean a sub base, holes drilled, and so on. All a bit more fiddly than I wanted. Then came your post.

I have no idea why, other than the fact that I hadn't taken the latest jig out to the shop, the jig with the cam clamp, and was looking it over - and playing with it. And it hit me - cam clamps - that's the ticket. No metal, no buying extras, no bolts and washers to lose, fast mount and release, should be able to position more accurately too. Stuff like this is what really makes woodworking really fun.

Now for the really important news. I was able to find a place to use a popsicle stick in the cam clamp jig. The Woodworking Gods are pleased. Life is basically good.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Ok, bro.. I was all over that until the popsicle stick part... Esplain Lussy..