cabinet shelves options

Bill, there is no exposed end grain in cabinet blocking ... the 2 x 4, or 2 x 6 cabinet blocking is fitted in between the studs, similar to fire stop blocking in stud walls, except with the wide face out.

Reply to
Swingman

Cabinet blocking appears to be a great way to deal with walls that aren't flat too (and that must include most of them)! Pretty cool.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Right-O!!

Max

Reply to
Max

Thanks. I will have to give that another try, someday. Trouble is trying to get five hands into the back of the cabinet through a 12" opening at the same time...LOL

Maybe one at a time and wedges or screwdrivers. The shelves look pretty tight in these clips. So far the wife is happy to display what she can get into it...glass door display unit only, basically.

On 10/25/10 8:26 PM, Josepi wrote: I have a factory manufactured corner cabinet in all oak (inside and out) and they used these shelf fasteners shown in the link.

One big drawback...How the F&*K do you get the shelves out to adjust them? I believe I will have to cut the tops off with a utility knife! Once snapped down the shelves do not seem to be able to snap-back up again.

Reply to
Josepi

I did all the cross blocking in my outside, insulated, vapour barriered wall. Think I even used 2x12?? The installer put his screws in the studs anyway. I guess I needed to be more knowledgable about cabinet hanging heights or better yet, do it myself...yes that would have avoided some of the turmoil and possible legal...well never mind...hazard of having some knowledge.

On 10/25/2010 8:28 PM, Bill wrote: If you had not suggested it, I might have worried about the end grain holding the screws in your blocking boards.

Reply to
Josepi

No, the blocking would follow the same curve the tubafores did before it. No change. Scribing gets you a flat cabinet.

That drywall book I told you about has some tips on curvy walls. A single cut with a recip saw can allow the bow out of a tubafore, with a piece of 2x4 sistered on the side to regain the lost rigidity.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques