cabinet box material

I built a lot of kitchens since 1976 until I packed that in 5+ years ago....2003, wow, that's 8 years ago...*shakes head* The bulk of them, we built with 120gram melamine over HD particle board. Trust me when I tell you that there are a LOT of different grades of PB and thicknesses of melamine. Sink cabinets were invariably constructed of plywood for all the reasons the rest of the guys here talk about. The 120gPB I used was not much of a cost savings over plywood, but so much easier to cut accurately, no finishing, certainly flatter and more of a consistent thickness. All said and done, the bulk of the cost saving by using 120gPB was in the fact that a single pass through the edgebander did the job. No face frame to deal with, No sanding, and 3 coats of spraying. The nicest thing about PB is that it is flat. The guys who bought the shop back then now use a lot of water resistant MDF of which Swing speaketh. Also available with 120g of Melamine.

If done right, there's nothing wrong with a quality heavy duty particle board.

Now we get to the crux of the matter: I like plywood except it is harder to be competitive in the marketplace from a price standpoint. In terms of look-and-feel? Nothing to talk about.

Reply to
Robatoy

Are you stalking me? ;-) Actually, a puddle in the middle of the living room woke me up at 4. They'll get around to the roof--someday.

Steve

Reply to
Steven Bornfeld

hat in Europe they are

ing point was the

Helluva rain today, eh? Couldn't go riding so I was poking around on some rides sites. I went riding around Greenwich, CT yesterday trying to figure out why we couldn't follow the cue sheet and got lost. The cue sheet said to turn right, and the map showed that you needed to go right - remind me to print out the maps next time. ;)

One thing about your viewpoint on plywood - cabinet grade plywood is better than the stuff used elsewhere in building a house, manufactured with more stringent grading and frequently more and thinner plies of veneer. Hopefully that will alleviate some of your concerns about the plywood splitting from screws - it's really not an issue at all.

RicodJour

Mostly the pricks at Home Depot in Canada sell that stuff.

Many of us don't want to pay more than $60 a sheet for plywood so we have to take what is on the shelves.

Plywood is always going to have continuous thin sheets of wood built up to the thickness that is desired.

2------------------------ Many times a nice layer of veneer on each side with a bunch of scrambled chip garbage in the middle is still sold as "plywood"
Reply to
m II

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c29g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

That's what I like about maps. They can convey much more detailed information than instructions with much less effort. Do you turn right, bear right, or keep following the road (which itself goes right but only slightly?)

Pictures are sometimes better than words, and words are sometimes better than pictures. It takes wisdom to know which one to use.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

40+ years after learning it, I still remember the military definition of a map: "A graphical representation of a portion of the earth's surface, drawn to scale."

The definition says what a map does, in about as many words. :)

Reply to
Swingman

...and remind me to proofread. Said to turn left and the map showed to turn right. Sigh.

RicodJour

We're hosting 4 girls from overseas this weekend (from a camp my daughter was at) until their flights home. I had to drop one off at Newark airport, and as a pretty recent new user of a GPS (in the car, not the bike) I'm amazed at how just plain deceptive the instructions can be, even at low speeds. I'm famous in my bicycle club for having a terrible sense of direction. Help like this I don't need.

Steve

Reply to
Steven Bornfeld

Having a terrible sense of direction while biking is a feature, not a bug. How else are you going to discover those undiscovered places? Fr'instance, getting lost in Greenwich let us find a castle. This from a NY Times article about it from a dozen years ago: "The Castle on Brookside Drive was another popular location in town. The greatest of great estates is a Medieval fantasy, a castle-fortress high atop a steep hill, with red tile roofs and towers and balconies, a drawbridge and a moat, a great hall with a built-in pipe organ, a bowling alley in the basement, a swimming pool guarded by white marble caryatids, and gardens with waterfalls, statuary and Ali Baba stone urns."

GPSs are two-edged. When they get wacky, they get really wacky. I've had times where they were telling me to drive straight across a field, and times they had me take three left turns instead of taking a right.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@df3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I wish GPSs learned what my preferred routes are. My Nüvi 255W always wants me to take the Turnpike extension to Allston, and then along Soldiers Field Road to go through Harvrad Square on my way to the Porter Square area. I prefer to take 128/95 North/East to Rt2 and then a bit of

16 to Mass Ave going south. And that's just an example, and not where I live .
Reply to
Han

;-) Now if a GPS took you on your preferred routes what would you need a GPS for? I use a GPS because I like to ignore that female voice and not get into trouble!

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:E6- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Most of the time she is muted :-) But the "Tom-Tom", as it is colloquially known, is a good source of amusement for our 11 year-old granddaughter. And we used it to good effect to get to here:

I have to get some stills out of the DVD we bought ... 3/4GB is too big for posting anywhere (I think).

Reply to
Han

Sometimes the route changes, some stuff may be put there for copyright- defense reasons with the expectation that nobody will actually be stupid enough to follow it.

My favorite was the time I was told to get off the Interstate and take a side road. Well, I did. It was OK pavement for about a mile, then turned into crappy pavement, then broken pavement, then good dirt, then crappy dirt, then a Jeep trail, and when it got to where I had to go through a hole cut in a chain-link fence I decided that maybe I should go back to the Interstate. How that got listed as a road I have no idea.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hamster.jcbsbsdomain.local:

Common sense is indeed very uncommon.

Reply to
Han

"J. Clarke" wrote

There is a local fire department who have rescued a number of spanish speaking tourists from a lake. It seems that the GPS directs them, in spanish, to drive on a boat launching ramp into the lake. A classic case of listening to a voice come out of the dashboard, instead of looking out the front window. One factor is that these have all occurred at night. Srill... Needless to say, the local rental companies are not happy with this. All the cars were rentals.

Kinda like getting run over by a train. How do people do that? Or the ladies who did not know they were pregnant. There are a lot of clueless folks in the world.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Time to learn about your GPS options. Garmin has an "avoid dirt roads" that actually works.

My favorite was the time I was told to get off the Interstate and take a side road. Well, I did. It was OK pavement for about a mile, then turned into crappy pavement, then broken pavement, then good dirt, then crappy dirt, then a Jeep trail, and when it got to where I had to go through a hole cut in a chain-link fence I decided that maybe I should go back to the Interstate. How that got listed as a road I have no idea.

Reply to
m II

Yeah, why can't they just mark them honestly?

This is a highway. This is a back road. This is a dirt road. This is a dirt-bike trail. This is a horse trail. This is a deer trail. This is a hiking path.

Simple.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@df3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

We had one take us 20 miles out of the way to get ice cream. It never got used for the rest of the trip. They're neat toys, and occasionally useful, but require so much oversight as to be pointless.

Btw, if you ever are getting off I69 to head West on I80, don't head east to the travel plaza that's just a mile away. You have to go all the way to Ohio to turn around.

We've had our adventures with maps as well...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I worked in Kitchen Design at Home Depot (Coordinator) and sold Kraft Maid (Hardwood/plywood face frame style) as well as RTA "European Style" MDF (Compressed wood fibers). There is no question that I would prefer a (quality) plywood box over MDF type "boxes." Having said that, I went twice for the price and got the MDF (first for a remodel back in 1990, and later for another about five years later).

While I took every precaution to protect the exposed edges of the MDF from moisture (sealing with Poly, caulking, etc.) I have had no issues with moisture damage in either installation. If you have a Self- Cleaning Oven, there are installation procedures necessary to protect the adjacent cabinets from the heat.

The place I bought in NC had the cheap Lowes Oak face frame & door cabinets on MDF boxes. The homeowner who installed them was not a careful guy - but the cabinets held up fine. The Hardwood doors warped a bit, but the boxes are still square and true!

So, from these personal experiences, I would say it's personal finances that dictate the choice.

But, the differences between kitchen cabinets lies with more than the materials used in the construction of the boxes - which are seldom seen or heard from after the installation.

But any woman can tell you "it's the drawers stupid." Hold your tongue and (listen &) watch the ladies shop the kitchen cabinets. Once they get past caressing the marble counter tops (emitting a purring sound in many cases), watch as they reach for the nearest drawer and, ever so lightly, attempt to pull it out into the light of showroom. Then, watch them urge it back in place with the slightest of touches, tensing a bit in anticipation to see if it responds to the little touch. If it's Blum, and effortlessly glides back into the deep recesses of that top of the line cabinet - listen for a sigh or a breath escaping slowly as it closes firmly.

If she moves on to a Pan Drawer base, start the video camera with sound and post it to your tube.

Later, after the experience is over and you're lounging about with the wine and Camels, ask her which she prefers in he boxes - plywood or MDF . . .

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Funny you should mention that. We were looking at the plans from one of the cabinet makers (not the MDF guy) and my wife said--"Hey, where are the drawers?"

Steve

Reply to
Steven Bornfeld