buying project wood (Philly area)

I'm a newbie hobbyist woodworker and I don't have a bandsaw, jointer, or thickness planer. I want to build some spice racks using 1/4" or

3/8" thick hardwood.

Can anyone recommend a place where I can buy s4s custom milled project wood in the Philly area, or on the web with reasonable shipping?

Thanks,

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

Lowes or Home depot has s4s oak and poplar. Whitewood is poplar too, and is usually cheaper. Unfortunately you pay pretty much for it. But it is an option.

Reply to
depictureboy

I have a place in NC that ships ups called Steve wall lumber I have a link on my web site to his web site.It can be found under links

Randy http:nokeswoodworks.com

Reply to
randyswoodshoop

Many hardwood vendors will custom mill rough stock for you.

What parts of the area surrounding Philadelphia do you consider local enough to drive? There are a few very nice hardwood stores in Amish country, and a couple in nearby New Jersey.

Here are a few I've patronized over the past few years:

East Coast Log:

Groff & Groff:
Hearne Hardwoods:
Willard Brothers:
have a look at WoodFinder:

Art Greenberg

You can try Advantage Lumber in Buffalo. Their web site says they ship small orders via UPS. I don't know if they have a minimum order requirement (other than for wholesale pricing).

Nova

Lee valley may have what you're looking for.

Reply to
Rick Samuel