building a deck

ok so I am finally getting around to building a replacement deck. There's a lot of awful stuff out there on how the new PT lumber "Eats Nails" etc. Folks at the box stores tell me to use triple dipped gavl and I'll be fine (however the Simpson guys basically say all bets are off - no guarantees)

what I am looking for is a good place to order / get decent metal parts (joist hangers etc) carriage bolts and most importantly nails for my framing nail gun. I can get galv nails at the box store, but not triple dipped. Is a PC 350 (full head)

Anybody got a good, trusted source for these items ? Do I really need Stainless steel ? What's a 1/2" x6 " carriage bolt go for in SS ?

Reply to
Sam the Cat

McFeelys is the gold standard.

If you've got the coin, go full stainless for everything. I used no-co-rode screws on my cedar fence. They worked great. To head off the objections, I like the look of the slight black streaks from the galvinization combined with the greying of the cedar. To each his own.

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

McFeelys is the gold standard.

If you've got the coin, go full stainless for everything. I used no-co-rode screws on my cedar fence. They worked great. To head off the objections, I like the look of the slight black streaks from the galvinization combined with the greying of the cedar. To each his own.

FriscoSoxFan

I wouldn't shoot nails when screws will work better. I would also look at a fastening system that screws from the bottom which will create a MUCH better looking deck that will also last longer. Use the stainless square drive screws.

I would use galvanized lag and carriage bolts for the frame work.

Sam the Cat wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Pat Barber

McFeelys has an impressive line of deck hardware, screws, and most important, knowledge. Only place I'd buy my decking hardware.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm currently enlarging mine so I went online to look at the Yellow Wood site and their specs. They said hot dipped galvanized fasteners or stainless steel. I decided to go with hot dipped nails for my framing gun with a ringed shank for holding power. I'll see how it goes. I can always buy stainless and add nails or screws if need be. I was also looking for a faster way to do it than using screws.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Well, here in NZ, we have been using PT timber (But I can't swear the preservative chemicals would be the same) for around 40-50 years and it does not touch galv nails. OTOH, bright chromate screws last about

1-2 years in it when damp. Trust me, I know. Sometimes you can be too cheap!

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Here in the US, the new chemicals in PT are not good on galvanized.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Personally we havent seen the need to exceed the current specs. of G185 and ASTM-153. The talk that we have heard of ACQ eating even those fasteners has not been proven out with factual data that we, or any of our suppliers, have seen. I personally believe they are just rumor and until some factual data is produced they are just that. There have been countless cases of contractors and homeowners either not being informed of the issues with the new treated or simply ignoring them and using fasteners they had on hand or thinking plated would be fine. I have even read of law suits where the big box stores, and other lumberyards, didnt inform their customers adequately when ACQ first came on the market and failures have occured.

One salesman from the lumberyard we deal with most was on one of our jobs two days ago and had just come from a deck which was built a year and a half ago with ACQ. The builder admittedly didnt use nails which meet the new standard. Salesman said the decking boards can be lifted off by hand and rock under your feet in several places on the deck. Who knows what shape the frame is in. That said, since ACQ came on the market there has not been a single issue with his company from any job where approved fasteners, hangers, and flashing, were used. We have been using it since the switch without any problems. I have been tempted to go back to a job done right at the switch and pull a few nails but I really dont see the need.

I simply cant see the industry converting to stainless and its associated cost (5x the price on the low side). My advice would be to meet the standard and save the money going with galvy over stainless. If you were buidling a deck with exotics or something and staining was a major issue the stainless would be a no brainer but on a treated deck the galvy will be fine.

Good luck, Mark

Reply to
M&S