Buffet is complete!

My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

A few pix are found at

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Nice work Larry,

A question, is that figure or scalloping on the left door, and drawer under it?

I am not nit picking, just can't tell if I am looking at figure or the other.

Reply to
woodchucker

Had a mixed batch of maple and some pieces were more figured than others.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Mighty fine!

Reply to
Swingman

measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

That looks like beautful work! It kinda makes me wish my dad was around to work with me.

Bill

coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Reply to
Bill

measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Very nice! and I also really like the kitchen island thing going on there.

Reply to
Leon

measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Very good work!

Reply to
G. Ross

measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

I like this. It makes me wonder if I should consider a project that employs wood with more "personality" myself.

I noted one unusual detail that can be seen a little better here:

There's an "end cap" on either end of the top that overlaps the top a bit. Or perhaps it's a separate thin slat that overlaps? I'm curious about this design element, exposing the end grain of the "end cap" and overlapping the top. Are any of those pieces designed to move in some way?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

SNIP

The end cap has a mortise that receives the end of the top, thus allowing f or seasonal movement. The top floats, except for attachments to the front and rear face frames and for those I used L brackets with enough play on th e underside of the top to allow for movement. I've used this technique on a couple of pieces.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

In news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Gramp's shop belched: