bracketless shelf??

I have a 10" shelf 3/4 stock and am going to fasten it to a 1x2 then fasten the 1x2 to the wall Does anyone have any idea what weight it will hold

Reply to
jan

Doug Brown

If I understand your description properly, it won't be able to hold itself up. It will need some angled shelf supports or something.

If you mean that it is angled and fits in the corner, you have some chance. As written, I don't see how anyone can answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG A live Singing Valentine quartet, a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU! snipped-for-privacy@okchorale.org (local)

(national)

Reply to
DanG

jan wrote: > The shelf is 40"long and is going to be attached to the 1x2 with #8 wood > screws and attached through the 1x2 to 2 studs with 2" screws.

Just curious.

Why do you feel it is necessary to attach the shelf to the 1x2's with screws?

You don't obtain any added strength and you make the installation a real PITA.

If you attach the 1x2's to the studs, then allow the 1x2's to support the shelf on 3 sides, you're good to go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It will not be able to hold itself up. There are many things that can be done to make a serviceable shelf. Perhaps one of the easiest for DIY would be to mount shelf standards with arms. The trickiest thing here would be to find the studs or use proper anchors in drywall and keeping the standards at the same elevation.

Here is an example:

though the stuff is available at all Borgs, Ace, Wal-Mart, etc.

Reply to
DanG

Not enough information. You want to use the wall studs whenever possible, not molly or plastic anchors.

Reply to
Phisherman