Bookshelf and laminating question again

x-no-archive:yes

I was the oen that asked if I could glue up boards using my router as a jointer to make boards wide enough to build a bookshelf. The plan called for plywood but I am trying to save money as I already have alot of rough cut red oak.

Anyway, can I glue these boards togther to former larger pannels without needing to use buscuits or dowels? Someone told me that I needed to use one or the other because over time the wood would want to separate where they are glued togther.

Also, I still have polyurethane glue left from building that cutting board. Can I use it? It was a bear to clean up though on my cutting board. (From the foam out). Or is regular yellow glue just as good and lasts just as long?

Reply to
stryped

We remember.

Good thing to have lots of.

Yes.

Wrong. (as long as they're glued well; i.e. long grain-long grain, no large gaps or sawdust, etc.)

Sure. Dampen one surface if your wood is very dry.

Use less. (Until you get just a tiny bit of foam out, then clean up with acetone while it's soft. Or scrape it off when it's dry - I've found this easier than cleaning up hardened yellow glue)

True, unless you plan to be getting your bookshelf wet, in which case you could use Titebond III.

Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yes. All those do is help align the edges during glue-up.

No. The real problem is that the entire panel might want to cup as one board.

Reply to
boorite

Reply to
stryped

I've always read you're supposed to alternate, which has worked fine for me.

Reply to
boorite