Bois D'arc (or Bo-darc) use?

Is this wood good for anything? I know it's hard as sin. Only time I have ever seen sparks fly from a chain saw when chopping down a tree... But it has this gorgeous yellow color to it. Anyone have any experience with wiping out some chisels trying to turn this stuff? I have BOAT LOADS of it around my house...

Reply to
Dave & Tricia Claghorn

I've turned some into bowls. The color will deepen into an orange-brown over time - faster with exposure to light, plus it is good practice sharpening.

Not too bad turning green, a bit more a challenge dry. Worth he trounble in my opinion - wish I had more!

Jim

Dave & Tricia Claghorn wrote:

Reply to
Jim Swank

Dave & Tricia Claghorn ask:

GO FOR IT! Stuff is hard to work, but gorgeous. Turns wonderfully, glues well, finishes beautifully. Avoid penetrating finishes if you want to keep that bright orange-yellow color. Great small project wood, hard to find, expensive (over 10 bucks a bf).

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Assuming you're in the US it's got another name, "Osage Orange". If you google the archives for this newsgroup you'll find quite a lot of discussion of Osage Orange.

If you're in South America there's another wood that goes by that name concerning which there doesn't seem to be a lot of information available.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

In this part of Texas they often _are_ the posts for barbed wire fences as they are commonly seen on fence lines, particularly along old cotton fields.

Reply to
Swingman

Said to be the most durable U.S. wood.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

And one post will out last two holes, or so they say. ;>))

Reply to
Richard

And, as named, it makes great archery bows.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The name seems to suggest making bows, like yew. I don't know anyone who has tried it. Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .

Reply to
Rodney Myrvaagnes

A Neander-Club

JG

As others have stated, the more common name (at least around here) is osage orange. My father also refers to it as "hedge", as it is often seen along fence lines. IIRC, the Plains Indians used it for bowmaking back in the day. My father uses it to make signs to go over the entrance to a long driveway or lane with the owner's name.

todd

Reply to
todd

It's a great accent wood and fun to carve...with very sharp knives.

In Texas it's know as Bodark or Horse Apple after its green fruit, about the size of a baseball. Horse apples will render your horse quite ill, yet they still eat it.

Rodney, are you related to Eric Myrvaagnes?

RB

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

Reply to
RB

Archers love to make bows from it. I personally prefer to make bowls. Absolutely gorgeous, but turn it green, when it's dry it's very hard to work. It frequently has faults that run trough it and won't be found until it's cut into. If nothing else, cut a

2-3 ft section and put your anvil on top.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

The trees come in both genders. The female tree has the fruit, about the size of a softball. The male tree does not, so you can have the tree without the fruit.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I'm his older brother.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .

Reply to
Rodney Myrvaagnes

Wow! So many great responses... And all I thought it was good for was dulling chainsaw blades and dropping big-ass fruits all summer long in my back yard...

Thanks. I may have to give this stuff a shot...

On 5/11/04 23:36, in article snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com, "Steve Kreitler"

Reply to
Dave & Tricia Claghorn

Considered one of the best woods for making bows- also one of the most difficult, from what I hear- takes practice. Lots of info out there. You can find a lot by doing a Google search. There is also a three-volume set- "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible"- outstanding stuff, and will teach you a lot about wood in general that you never realised before. The chapter on making bowstrings has always been the most fascinating part to me, though...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Kreitler

Translated Bois D'arc means "wood of the arc" or as stated wood for bows. Cajuns pronounce it Bow-Dock. It makes a great turning wood and is one of the most popular materials for duck calls.

-- Eric P

Reply to
Eric P

Only those Cajuns from New Jersey.