Blue wood

Swingman wrote in news:1257087316376061400.978104kac-nospam.com@216.196.97.131:

Reply to
Han

Neat effect. A project, with that lumber, would need to be specific for th= e blue color, IMO. Don't know if I would want bluish kitchen cabinets.

I once had similarly "stained" boards, though not as pretty as those, after= having 4 pine logs milled. I didn't wash the sawdust off, before stickeri= ng to air dry. The wet sawdust, remaining on the boards, molded/mildewed a= nd stained the boards a mix of blue, bluish-gray, gray and some black, per = board.... not pretty, at all. Lesson learned: Wash the sawdust off your m= illed lumber before stickering. =20

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Probably works in CO due to the influx of urban raised transplants who have their first taste of "country cool", but, as most fads, it won't last long, as those who frequently declare/change the latest fashions for profit will move the fickle herd onto something else in time for their next magazine cycle.

Reply to
Swingman

Interesting. Two thoughts.... - I see a lot of blue streaking like that in pine 2x lumber in the big box stores around here... never knew it was a fungus. I assure you, it paints as well as cherry. :-)

- As with many other misguided "green" trends, they are building "green" caskets out of the stuff. If you really want to die green, just bury yourself in the ground, so casket, no embalming chemicals, just naked flesh and let the worms do their work. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Interesting. Two thoughts.... - I see a lot of blue streaking like that in pine 2x lumber in the big box stores around here... never knew it was a fungus. I assure you, it paints as well as cherry. :-)

- As with many other misguided "green" trends, they are building "green" caskets out of the stuff. If you really want to die green, just bury yourself in the ground, so casket, no embalming chemicals, just naked flesh and let the worms do their work. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

to Pasco, WA it was a bit disconcerting to see the huge quantities of dead trees. In one area a forest fire has reportedly been allowed to burn for years to deal with the dead trees and perhaps slow down the spread of the beetles. There is a LOT of damaged timber and by making the blue wood a feature they have taken something that would have previously been rejected as defective and made it desirable!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Years ago in the wood turning or this group a guy in Colorado was using writ die in gallon jugs and feed young sapplings with this juice and the wood after years of sucking in the water were beautiful.

He typically used one color but had gone into two as an experiment.

Takes time, but a fast growing hard wood is ideal.

Mart>

Martin Eastburn

Who knew that beetle stains can still make wonders and huge sales for those guys. Blue wood hasn't been that much popular because it's often called a stained wood and we always want those good looking wood for our projects but look at how good they are when turned into furniture. I like the idea that they placed a beetle in their project to pay tribute to the one that made the blue wood that way. - yve

Reply to
yve lynch