Blind kitchen corner storage???

Elder son called yesterday and posed a ?? -- I have a couple of ideas but they're I think excessively complicated so throw this out for Karl, whoever...

Upper kitchen cabinets in his house were built in place w/ one wall a set of straight-line cabinets and the 90-degree wall then butted against the face of these. The first cabinet is then open to the end wall while the second is closed at the face of the first. This, of course, creates a sizable area in the corner that is very difficult to use.

Son's idea/request was for a mechanism that if cut out the bottom of the hidden area could drop a set of shelves down for access then lift it back up -- his request was for suitable hardware design to latch and more importantly, allow the movement w/ support so would be more-or-less balanced w/ varying weight.

Swingman/nailshooter; you'se guys ever seen anything for same? I've not been in the kitchen recently enough that have paid sufficient attention to the details to know for certain about construction but my initial thought was to simply open up the end panel of the other cabinet--at least gives access from both directions that way...

Anyway, the deep square corner is routine issue; any other newer/novel solutions to help anybody has? (In my day I used to put in a 45 short section between and cut off the backs w/ false back so while lost some absolute footage in general it wasn't useful anyway but could reach the are that did...)

Reply to
dpb

Ok, this IIRC amounts to about 1 square foot times the height of the cabinet. minus the portion that is taller than the distance between the counter top and the bottom of the cabinet. In most cases this is about

1.5 cubic feet of possible extra accessible storage.

Typically there is not even a good solution for this situation on the lower cabinets which afford approximately 4 times as much space. Most add-ons still waste a lot of that space for the hardware.

IMHO if the space is accessible through the cabinet door you will not get any more storage than that.

Reply to
Leon

In my Vast Experience{ : ) }, I have seen Lazy-Susans that spin into the area which is inconvenient to access. You can even build a sturdy one featuring shelves (think of the quarters of a cake). My mother has that in a "lower cupboard" situation, and it works nice.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

An additional comment: I expect my mother has deeper cabinets that what you may have overhead. Still...?

Reply to
Bill

Just got finished educating a young architect/client on this very issue ... in short, I, personally, have yet to see a suitable, satisfying solution to a true "blind corner cabinet" situation that will stand the test of time, particularly with regard to the hardware reliability. (I have actually removed more Lazy Susan's than I've ever installed, or caused to be installed)

That said, Pete Mai over at KornerKing has some interesting products he has devised, mostly for base cabs, but I think he has some wall cab solutions also ... check him out at:

Pete posts on G+ and seems to be a very nice guy. There have been a few reviews that I have not seen, but heard about on G+ and they all seem positive, so you might want to add "review" to a search string.

Reply to
Swingman

Meant to reiterate that, IME, it all boils down to hardware, both its availability, and reliability over time.

I have a lot of good ideas on custom made blind corner cabinet solutions, but finding the hardware to effect them, and then incorporating that hardware into a design has always proven to not be a cost effective solution for my, or a client's purposes.

If cost were of no concern, that may not be the case.

Reply to
Swingman

Perhaps some type of TV lift might be incorporated? Capacity 110 lbs.

If that doesn't do it for you, then something along the lines of a sewing machine lift might be jury rigged for use. Capacity 40 lbs.

Dave

Basically agree fully...it was just a passing query that seemed worth a post while waiting to go shovel blizzard (minor, nothing major) from the haymow before it all melts and makes a mess below. Unfortunately, the wind blows even a small amount of actual snow everywhere in that old thing...

On the commercial lazy susan hardware--agree they're mostly junk or ridiculously expensive if not. We (Dad and I) built one for the base cabinets here when he was redoing the old farm house. It uses a set of Krause oneway thrust bearings on 2" (iirc) pipe and will support several hundred pounds w/ no slop. It's been 30+ yr and is still as solid as originally built and will be for another 30 at least.

I doubt if elder son will ever do anything, anyway, in reality. :)

Reply to
dpb

Ditto. Lots of options on new cabinets, and even on lowers. But the effort/cost benefit balanced against a few usable inches of storage isn't worth it.

Now if you could figure something out that was clever and would stand the test of time, you could probably retire with that once you get it patented.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Interesting; hadn't seen that before. I kinda' like the drawer-on-a-susan concept. Now that there are full-extensions slides it's pretty practical. Assuming his bearings are up to the task for the long term (I can tell him where he can get some that definitely are :) ) it should last.

Unfortunately, it appears his ready-made solution for upper cabinets are only usable w/ angled corner installations.

I can envision some solutions that would work but they're far too complex for routine work. (Being an old power NucE so that everything starts w/ a reactor for the power source tends to lead to less than trivial design/thought processes it seems... :) )

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:kgigqd$aqs$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

We have a top corner cabinet that was installed when we redid the kitchen some 12 years ago. It is a doubly-hinged door, and it has held up very well. The only caveat is that people have to be instructed to close it in sequence - first the part that hinges against the cabinet itself, then the part that hinges to that, so you don't scrape the adjacent cabinet (left in the pictures that I will put up on abpw, and that are already up on G+ - how the hell to share here?).

Reply to
Han

File sharing is pretty easy these days. Open an account with Google, Imageshack, or a couple of others and it is a snap. More folks could see what you are referencing as they would be able to click a link and have the pic come right up.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:0e0b43a6- snipped-for-privacy@c6g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Finally found a link to these 4 photos:

Reply to
Han

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:kgl2es$o3l$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

My thoughts were on a residential situation. And, yes, it is less than ideal if there were careless teenagers about. My cabinets were made by KraftsMaid, or whatever way they spell the name. I really like them, since they fit our style and usage.

Reply to
Han

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:kgl3mp$vf4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That is indeed a good caveat ...

Reply to
Han

Just a thought: A possible solution that's been around a while, but in ano ther application. How about a dead weight counterbalance mechanism, like t he old style sash windows weight/counterbalance to raise/lower the hidden/i nconvenient space.

As stated, the hardware would need its own space. I wouldn't think there w ould be too much cabinet weight and (as Leon noted) stored material weight that needs to be supported. A little trial and error construction might pr oduce a reasonable/inexpensive application for this dead weight lower/raise mechanism proposal.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

another application. How about a dead weight counterbalance mechanism, like the old style sash windows weight/counterbalance to raise/lower the hidden/inconvenient space.

would be too much cabinet weight and (as Leon noted) stored material weight that needs to be supported. A little trial and error construction might produce a reasonable/inexpensive application for this dead weight lower/raise mechanism proposal.

wouldn't you need an adjustable weight because the amount in the cabinet would change over time?

Reply to
chaniarts

another application. How about a dead weight counterbalance mechanism, like the old style sash windows weight/counterbalance to raise/lower the hidden/inconvenient space.

would be too much cabinet weight and (as Leon noted) stored material weight that needs to be supported. A little trial and error construction might produce a reasonable/inexpensive application for this dead weight lower/raise mechanism proposal.

The best solution, IMO, is a reverse Lazy Susan type solution.

A "Lazy Susan", with rotating outward shelves, in the same path as the the cabinet door (both on their respective 180 or 270 degree hinge and post), and with the Lazy Susan swinging out and away from the adjacent cabinet in the corner.

This leaves the "blind corner" space free for one or two shelves on drawer slides that pullout into the easily reachable space vacated by the Lazy Susan.

Once again, the problem is finding hardware, the space, the builder to modify/build it into new or existing cabinetry, and someone to pay for it.

Not to mention that current post type hardware of the typical Lazy Susan, now located opposite the traditional location, takes up a good deal of cabinet space.

It will take a new approach to the traditional "Lazy Susan", post type hinge hardware, but would make more sense than any other solution I've seen.

YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

would change over time?

Incorporate an adjustment for resistance on the pulley mechanism?

If a "rope" was wrapped around a slippery dowel, two wraps would increase the resistance. A hook attaching the weight, rather than a rope knot, would allow for a quick release for adding a wrap.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

---------------------------------------------------- Classic design problem on a sailboat.

SFWIW, even drawers are considered a waste of valuable interior space and excess weight.

Usual solution is to convert corner space into a storage bin with access via a lift out top flushed into counter top.

Done right, provides dry storage for grains, legumes, etc.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett