Bit to Drill Out Screw?

I have several screws that need to be removed from a 2x6 piece of wood that forms the base of my raised stove hearth. I've tried drilling into them to be able to remove the board, but my bits won't cut into the metal and my bit is dulled. What type of bit would penetrate into the screw? I need to remove the boards so I can lay a Pergo-type floor underneath them, trim the boards, re-paint and replace the boards around the hearth.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

What may work for this is a 'screw extractor bit'. Said bits are like very small hole saws you chuck into your drill and they cut thorugh the wood around the screw. If possible, it is best to almost cut just past the point of the screw, not all the way through the board. That way you can back the extractor up out of the hole leaving the plug behind. Then the plug with screw inside can be broken off and removed from the board. If you drill all the way through, or th eplug breaks off and stays in the extractor it can be very difficult to remove from the extractor.

Those extractors as also pretty brittle.

Ordinary plug cutters may also work but if they hit the screw they will be damaged. The screw extractors are hard enough to survive _a little_ contact with the screws.

Reply to
fredfighter

You can use a hollow screw extractor like this:

a drill bit and extractor set like this:

Dhakala

I'm just curious.

Since these nails appear to be very hard, any chance they are concrete nails used to attach wood, etc, to concrete?

If so, you may have a challenge.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett