Beware of Unwinding Router!

...guess that explains why PC has changed the switch from my old 690 (toggle) to the one on the newer 691(plastic enclosed rocker)...the latter is not nearly as easy to use but I could see a replay of your incident on the former.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Update: I put a surface-mount box on the front of my router table with a 20 amp rated switch that controls the receptacle the router is plugged into. Then I went to Home Depot and found a clear plastic hinged dome to cover the switch. It's really meant for outdoor locations to rainproof a receptacle while cords are plugged into it. I cut an oblong hole in the center of the dome so you can stick a finger inside to flick the switch without having to open the cover. There's no way to accidently bump the switch because it's completely protected by the dome. I'm not suggesting anyone else should take this route because the owner's manual clearly states that you should always unplug the router before you change bits or adjust the height. But I found the protected switch to be just the right balance of safety and convenience - for me. It's much easier to find than the switch on the router because it's always in the same place. I don't have to grope around under the router, feeling for a switch that moves to a new location every time I adjust the bit height. And I feel safe enough with the protected switch without unplugging each time.

DonkeyHody

" We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody
[snip of switch description]

I installed an "in-line" switch for my router table as well. In addition, I have an outlet in the side of the router table that I use to plug my shop-vac into. This way, when I flip the switch, both the vac and the router start up at the same time. Very convenient. Because I have young kids I also ceiling mounted two switches for both my table saw and dust collector. It was my solution for a "remote start" dust collector. When standing in front of the saw I merely reach up and flip the switch for the dust collector. I'm also pretty careful about keeping the switches off for the table saw so my kids can't turn the saw on with the big pretty button on the saw base. ;)

Mark

Reply to
Werlax

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (DonkeyHody) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Probably the main reason I want a switch is to rapidly kill the power in a "high pucker factor" situation. I can otherwise put up with a little inconvenience.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch