Best Wood and Stain for Cupboards

Might want to give a lot of thought to aromatic cedar. Kills moths and = looks good doing it. There is no need to "finish" it as leaving it bare = is what does all the good, Smells good too.

--=20

PDQ

-- =20 wrote in message = news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... | I am starting getting into woodworking. My first project is going to = be | replace my bedroom cupboards. Great walk in closet - terrible design | and wood (if you could call it wood). |=20 | Does anyone have some input on what kind of wood and finish is best = for | closets (I would like solid hardwood). I really do not want to do all | this work and get something substandard and or that runes the clothes | over time.=20 |=20 | Thanks | Jonathan |

Reply to
PDQ

I am starting getting into woodworking. My first project is going to be replace my bedroom cupboards. Great walk in closet - terrible design and wood (if you could call it wood).

Does anyone have some input on what kind of wood and finish is best for closets (I would like solid hardwood). I really do not want to do all this work and get something substandard and or that runes the clothes over time.

Thanks Jonathan

Reply to
jmail000

Depends on what you like. If the wood is nice, no stain is needed. Just a few coats of polyurethane or shellac. Just about nay hardwood would do the job for you Start by narrowing the search to light woods or dark woods.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

and looks good doing it. There is no need to "finish" it as leaving it bare is what does all the good, Smells good too.

Thin cedar (aromatic red cedar aka juniperus virginiana) paneling is commonly available to line the inside walls of closets, drawer bottoms and the like. If you use solid cedar for the doors and drawer fronts it will look great, though it will also be pretty fragile. Shellac, clear or orange will look great on the outside. As noted above, don't finish the inside surfaces.

If you just use cedar to line it, and use another wood for the outside then use whatever wood looks good to you. Pick one that looks good as it is and there'll be no need to stain it.

All the commonly available cabinet grade hardwoods, maple, birch, oak, walnut cherry, poplar etc. are appropriate, that's why they are commonly used. You'd actually have to look hard to find an inappropriate wood like elm, or eucalyptus.

Reply to
fredfighter