Bent Lamination using 1x6 yellow cedar

I want to make a super-strong curved hammock stand using yellow cedar. The most affordable wood I can find comes in 1x6 dimensions.

The curve will have a radius of approx 8ft, total wood length of 19ft and will be made of 8 layers of 1x6.

Does this sound feasable? Or should I try to find some thinner yellow cedar stock?

If need be, would steam bending the wood help it form to the lamination?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
davemattson

you're going to have a lot of trouble bending 1x6 material. if you ripped it down to 1/4 to 1/2, and used a lot of glue and clamps and bent them around a form, you might be able to do it.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in news:d5trog$6av$ snipped-for-privacy@transfer.stratus.com:

If you are going to resaw it anyway, look for larger, thicker stock. It will tend to be higher quality, clearer of knots and twists.

An 8" thick hammock stand? I guess THAT won't move too easily. Take pictures.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch