bending trex

The trex adds love to showcase the deck boards curving this way and that, but I can't find anyone who has actually done this. I've built my Trex deck (no complaints), but I have yet to wrap it in the curving steps. I would like to curve at a minimum radius of 7 feet. I would prefer to use the 1 and 5/8" boards, but I could use the thinner ones if need be. If I just purchase a propane torch, will I be able to bend these boards around? Any and all tips from anyone who has actually done this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
pykirk

Trex outlines the procedure on page 27 of their "Product & Installation" manual:

no(SPAM)vasys

I read somewhere that laying the Trex boards in full sun on hot asphalt will heat them enough to bend. I'd guess from the document that it would be a while and the bending radius would be limited to the specs. I doubt a propane torch will provide 100000 btus.

Reply to
Woodhead

They will bend in hot sun. I found that out when I built our porch and used Timber Tech composite decking. I purchased 20' long pieces and hauled it with a 16' trailer. I let it set on the trailer in the hot sun and the last 4' was almost touching the ground. I turned them over and them move them in the shade and they were ok.

I used Timber Tech because of the ribbed design and it is tounge and grove and you don't have any exposed nails or fasteners. Bill T

Reply to
BT98