Bathroom Rehab Questions

Has anyone here covered the fibreboard and faux oak end of a bathroom vanity with a think piece of oak? I'm not talking veneer, but a thin piece of red oak plywood. If you have done this, did you succeed? How did you attach the wood? The rest of the vanity is nice red oak; too bad they don't make it all from red oak and charge a few $ more.

Caulk: Caulking around a tub and then running a wet finger down the bead to make a nice, even curve is a bit like Superman flying. It can be done on TV and in the movies, but--and this may shock you--men can't really fly, and only skilled video special effects people can make the caulk trick work.

In replacing the yellowed and dried-out caulk around my tub I found that in some areas the space between the tiles and the tub was deep (not wide, but deep). My finger pushed the caulk into the crevice, so that little remains visible. Thus, I have unevenness.

Is it advisable to put new caulk on top of the caulk that I put in earlier? That caulk has set, but the rehab project is not complete and the tub has not been used, i.e., the caulk is still clean.

Thanks,

dei

-----

4,000 precious American soldiers dead for nothing. $7 trillion in debt. Diminished influence abroad. National pride turned to national shame. Sanctioned corporate corruption. Lies. Stunning incompetence. Torture. Suspension of habeas corpus. Anti-science, anti-intellectual, anti-rational. The opposite of "progressive" is still "regressive."
Reply to
Davoud

plywood is veneer. use contact cement.

if it's 100% silicone, new won't stick to old if the old is cured (older than about 4 hours). remove the old, fill crevice with backer, then reapply a new coat of silicone. use one with mildewicide added. don't use paintable.

Reply to
charlie

I have had good luck with Liquid Nails caulk for this type aplication.

If you use a latex caulk, one that cleans up with water, and one that has silicone and a wet finger this is very easy to do. The trick is to not apply too much caulk. Start with a hole about 1/8" in the end of the tube and squeeze a line out follow up continious pass of your wet finger. If you get too much build up on your finger wipe it clean on a paper towel.

You can caulk over old as long as you get a complete coverage to seal the surface. Often however this presents an appearance probolem.

Reply to
Leon

The one thing the BORG is good for is Formica samples. The little ones with rounded corners work great for caulking a tub. Even with silicone caulks, you can wipe clean and keep going.

No, you can't put caulk on caulk. Replace.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

There are iron veneer, but if the under base is sound a piece of ply works, but it may hang out past the trim. If the vanity is not sound wait until your budget allows for a new one.

Works well for me, it is a gift some got it some do not. Actually each repair within your home is a learning experience, you learned next time add more caulk at the void, in the meantime adding caulk works. Trimming with a razor blade will give a clean edge if you want to recaulk the tub.

Hint have a small bucket of water the rinse of excess off your finger next time. More than one attempt is allowed.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

I tried that one time, with no luck. The original panel had vinyl laminate (I suspect that's what you're talking about). The ahesive pulled off thevinyl. I peeled all of it off and re-glued to the particle board underneath. It held, but I was always concerned it would eventually pull away. I finally took th eend panel off, made a new side panel from oak ply and was satisfied after that.

Good Luck,

Dave

Reply to
Me