sealing bathroom

The last time I sealed around the bathtub, it didn't stick too well. I kept having to remove it and reapply it. Should I clean it with a solvent of some sort first? It already needs to be redone now.

Thanks

Jen

Reply to
Jen

It must be perfecrly clean to have caulk bond, use bleach to kill mold , Lime Away removes water deposits and a razor blade to scrape it clean.

Reply to
m Ransley

What are you using?

Reply to
Just mee

The tub goes down (or it MAY go down?? I don't know which) when someone gets in it and when it is filled with water. And up again when it is empty. I saw a recommendation to fill it half way before sealing around the edge. (If you filled it as high as it can go, then when the water is emptied, the tub will go up, and that can ruin the seal too, they say.)

This is also the reason I once used tub seal tape, but it didn't work that well either, I forget why. I took it all off.

Reply to
mm

Thanks to all responses, maybe I just didn't have it clean enough. I'll see how I go this time.

Jen

Reply to
Jen

Silicon

Reply to
Jen

Silicone usually doesn't stick to anything. Try something like PolySeam Seal, or ask a store that specializes.

Reply to
Hopkins

Perhaps you should repost saying what the products are (material of bathtub = enameled iron or plastic?, wall = ceramic tile or what?) and what type of caulk you use. Which type did your builder's supply store recommend?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:08:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jen" quickly quoth:

Silicone is good, but is it the proper tub and tile caulk? I clean everything with denatured alcohol before caulking. (Don't be tempted to use rubbing alcohol because it may contain glycerine.) DA is sold for under $10 a gallon in home stores. It's an excellent solvent for many things so it's very handy to have around.

Place your finger so you can feel the gap between the tile and the tub, then climb in the tub with your finger still there. If the gap opens at all, fill the tub with water before you caulk it, and leave it overnight before draining. This places the caulk under compression normally and will reduce its chance of splitting.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. ---

NoteSHADES(tm) laptop privacy/glare guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques