bandsaw book - duginske vs bird

I have from library the Bandsaw Handbook, Duginske, c 1989

Bird has

c 1999

any advice as to which to get? amazon has good prices now..

Reply to
<nospam_coloradotrout

Duginske. Both are good on the basics, but you'll open Duginske more than once.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bird.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

good. Duggy is on my X-mas wish list...

dave

Andy D> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

john carlson

My experience is just the opposite. I have the Bird book but have not yet read the Duginske book. Bird's book is a good resource.

It sounds like either bood would be a "must read" before spending any serious money on a bandsaw.

Tim

john carls> I haven't read Bird (yet) but I can tell you that Duginske has a

Reply to
The Guy

I just got Duginske last night and curled up with it for a little bedtime reading. So far, I think it's an interesting read, unlike some WW books that'll put you to sleep.

dave

nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have both books and have read both cover to cover.

They contain the same information, even though Bird's book is shorter. (That should tell you something right there.) Bird's book is MUCH better written than Duginske's.

Even though they contain the same information on saw setup, Duginske makes the bandsaw sound like some magical tool that has to be setup just right or else it won't work at all. Bird is much more relaxed and less intimidating to the beginner. In my experience, I've found that the setup just has to be close, not perfect, so I tend to side much more with Bird than Duginske.

I have referred back to Bird several times, but I've never picked up Duginske for reference.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

The Bandsaw Handbook

I have both, have read both several times. When I need someth>I have from library the Bandsaw Handbook, Duginske, c 1989

Reply to
Larry Kraus

I spend an hour or so in Woodcraft reading both (sorry to the manager!) and went with the Bird book

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox