AZEC is pretty darn strong!

I wanted to see how strong AZEC is since I am considering using it to make some bat racks for the fields where my daughter plays softball. I'm looking to make something like this, which I've made in the past using 3/4 plywood:

had some cutoffs of 5/4 x 4 AZEC from a storm door project I just finished, so I did a little experiment.

I used two 3" deck screws to attach the butt end of a 4" long piece to the face of another piece as shown below.

The |||| is the side of one piece, the ==== is the 4" face of the other, the ss are the screws that old the 2 pieces together.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Azek" w/ a "k" instead of a "c" but that's a minor nit...

It is strong enough and in short sections as you used it won't show up but as construction material it is more limber than wood of same dimensional thickness and so flexes more. It also tends to relax over a span w/ time.

Those characteristics won't be of significance in the given application, just an observation.

--

Reply to
dpb

re: "Azek" w/ a "k" instead of a "c"

Yeah, I knew that. Brain fart.

And I agree that the flex shouldn't be an issue, especially since I will be screwing the edge of one piece to the face of another, in shorter than 3' sections.

If I put a screw between each bat receptacle, and maybe even add some AZEC ;-) adhesive, the rack should be plenty rigid.

Other opinions are certainly welcome.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Azek" w/ a "k" instead of a "c"

Yeah, I knew that. Brain fart.

And I agree that the flex shouldn't be an issue, especially since I will be screwing the edge of one piece to the face of another, in shorter than 3' sections.

If I put a screw between each bat receptacle, and maybe even add some AZEC ;-) adhesive, the rack should be plenty rigid.

Other opinions are certainly welcome.

--------------------------------------- Would consider cutting a dado, 1/8" deep,in face board and gluing /W/ TiteBond II.

Installing screws from the back to strengthen "finger" between bats would be mandatory IMHO.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

re: "Installing screws from the back to strengthen "finger" between bats would be mandatory IMHO."

That was always the plan.

The dado is a good idea.

Oh great, more white powder all over the shop!

Reply to
DerbyDad03