Assembly Bench Completed

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the centipede" I think it was called? Everyone got all over the Comet cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before. Looks ok but takes up lots of floor/wall space. I have neither left. Too damn many tools/cabinets etc for that thing. I have a 7' tool cabinet on wheels the same height as my Tsaw. So with that, and extensions front and side on the TSaw that works together as a 7x7' sanding/painting/assembly table.

Reply to
Jack

I think you're referring to me. I bought the centipede and the jury is still out on it. It *is* super portable and convenient but I just don't find myself drawn to use it very often.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Hollow Core are not dead flat. A solid core door has a better chance since they are particle board usually.

Reply to
woodchucker

They are flatter than two 2x4's and certainly flat enough for a temporary work surface.

Reply to
-MIKE-

When not in use and being stored it has a foot print of 20"x17". You probably take up more space when you are staining in the shop.

I have neither left.  Too damn many

Reply to
Leon

Depends on what you're staining, right? :-p Yeah, yeah, I know what you meant.

Reply to
-MIKE-

;~)

Reply to
Leon

That's what I use but they're a tad heavy for a portable or worksite bench.

Reply to
krw

We talked about these but, no, I didn't buy one. I looked at them but decided that I really didn't need such portability. For outside use, I have a six or eight of these:

Reply to
krw

Getting to the party late.

Considering the size, weight, portability, etc., that's a practical solution for many folks. Neat idea, good job.

I see you have some planters, there. I suspect there's a Festool thumb joke lurking about, but I'm getting too far OT, already.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

All credit goes to Ron Paulk the designer. I bought the plans from him to help support his efforts. I ended up modifying size like most erery one else. I wanted flat, and that is what I think I got. ;~)

Yeah, they are to replace some 6 year old Jack Daniels Whiskey barrels. We'll see how well they hold up. I bought them BTW. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yep, I'm familiar with those planters. They eventually decay. Taking a c ue from those barrels (giving a try at barrel and bucket making), long ago I made this planter bucket/home decor, adding an accent rope handle: http s://

With our near 80° weather, I'm getting the spring-planting fever, also . Monday, I mowed some of Mom's grass and thought about overhauling one f lower bed and tilling the garden. I just don't have the all-day energy to multitask, that way, any more. The spring-time to-do list is growing. Jonas' son came over to help mow, as well.... about 3 acres to mow. I wash ed his car, while he mowed.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Cool planter. Did you make the plant too? :-)

Reply to
Leon

LOL. No, it's fake, though. Most of these types of projects are given to friends or family. This planter is at Mom's.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

From the picture and your comments, you say it has a full sheet of plywood on top. To me, a full sheet of plywood wouldn't fit on anything

20x17"?

Anyway, it looks OK if you need it, and have space for it. Kevin has space for it, I personally don't really need it, nor have any space for it if I did need it.

Reply to
Jack

They look nice, I built my own fold ups that work OK, and store outside on french cleats on my sheds outside wall.

I wonder what on earth you do with six or eight of these things? I've never used more than two, and never used them in my shop, only for rare outside building projects. I think I used them 2-3x since I made them about 10 years ago.

Reply to
Jack

Picture this, the work bench is "2" sections, side by side. Each is 96" long, 20" wide, and 8.5" tall. If I stand both on end, 96" tall, with the bottom of one against the top of the other the foot print is 20"x17".

With that comment, I would recommend that you not build one for yourself.

Reply to
Leon

I bought them to paint Hardi-plank siding but they're useful for doors, too.

Reply to
krw

You lost me on the 96" long part. It's not clear how you get the long

96" dimension to store against the wall in a 20x8.5" space?

Thanks, I'll take your advice on that. I think Kevin should build one, he won't even need to store it with his 2000' shop. Make it same height as TS and he has a nice out feed table if he doesn't already have one.

Reply to
Jack

I'm sorry but I cannot think of a simpler way to explain it. FWIW, I said a 20x17 foot print, not 20x8.5.

Reply to
Leon