As if we aren't already SICK of sharpening questions......

...has anybody used the Pinnacle Honing Guide from Woodcraft?

seem to like the Scary Sharp method as it seems to be the easiest. I have doubts as to whether or not it is the cheapest system in the long run. I probably should invest in a grinder but, for some reason, other purchases seem to be more relevant (or is it just impulsive?).

As for the paper clogging up quickly, I had trouble with that in the beginning. I was being too conservative with the amount of paper I would use and I would press too hard and take off too much metal, especially with the finer grits. The paper would get clooged quickly and frustration levels increased. I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not but I squirt a little 3-in-1 or, sometimes, some mineral spirts on the wet-dry paper and the whole process seems to work both better and faster. I makes sense to me because, if I think of it, we would use mineral spirits with the wet-dry paper when we would get our rust bucket cars ready to paint....

Anyway, I am interested if anybody has used or seen the honing guide. I currently use the Veritas I with somewhat mixed results. I have the funny feeling it is because of the single pressure point and my stupid heavy hand. Whatever I am sharpening always seems to get out of whack eventually. The Pinnacle say there is no way you can do this but I am sure if anybody can, I can!

Reply to
busbus

I got impatient and stopped using a honing guide altoghether. You can do the main bvel just by keeping it flat n the paper. To get the micor- bevel, just c*ck it up a little. This has worked fine for me.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I broke down and bought the Lee Valley power sharpener. I'm glad I did.

$100, you will get a sharpener for flat blades with the Pinnacle. I found I was having to sharpen more and more curved blades and my guides were obsolete then. The LV sharpener allows me to do both, with sandpaper vs. grinding wheels. I'm able to put micro bevels etc... on with no problems. It's kind of pricey at $349 but I've gotten great use out of it. It takes but seconds to refine the edge of a tool I'm using and doesn't take up too much space. In any case, good luck with your decision. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson