Arts and Crafts Finish Question

I recently started a project and want to ensure I use the right finishing technique. I saw the "Arts and Crafts" finish listed in a recent Popular Woodworking and it said the complete directions were in the June 2002 issue. I have all the materials but want to make sure I apply it correctly and finish it correctly between coats. Can anyone give me some help here? I have already applied the waterbased anilene dye but it raised the grain slightly and want to make sure before I apply the warm brown glaze that I properly finish the wood (fine sand, steel wool ?)

Thanks for your help.

Really enjoy the posts they are full of great ideas.

Thanks Brad

Reply to
<blandman

You should have applied a wash of plain distilled water to the wood before the dye. This will raise the grain and you sand down nibs etc with 220 sandpaper. You then apply the stain and sand only lightly with sandpaper...just lightly to remove nibs. You then seal the stain with 1 lb cut of dewaxed shellac. Now you can apply your glaze. If you don't seal the stain with the shellac you risk bleeding the stain up into subsequent finishes. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Reply to
JGS

Thanks Lawrence,

Somewhat inexperienced with waterbased dyes. Based on your input I can complete this. I don't think I am that much trouble as it only raised some nibs and not the whole grain structure.

Reply to
<blandman

Thanks JG.

Only nibs have been lifted so I shold be alright based on your post. I will follow your advise though and work on some scrap to make sure.

Thanks again Brad

Reply to
<blandman

No one else mentioned this, so...

If it's an A&C project, there's a good chance you're using oak. The iron in steel wool can react with the tannin in oak and cause black stains. Though you're probably safe using it after a base sealer coat has been applied, I avoid it when dealing with oak; there are plenty of safer alternatives.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti