arts and crafts house

1925 arts and crafts house. Is that the same as a kit?
Reply to
mm

No. Did you get the description from a real estate ad? If so, it's probably referring to this:

Much of the Stickley furniture collection sorta kinda fits into this category as well.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It was a plaintiff on the piple's court, describing her own house.

It has been in "this old house" magazine, and they showed one picture of the kitchen, but none of the outside.

They were fighting with the painter, but lost in court.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Probably refers to a building style that was prevalent in that era. Here in California, these homes are referred to as "California Craftsman" style. They are very unique and may contain period details and embellishments such as built-in redwood or gumwood cabinets in dining rooms and around fireplace, boxed beam ceilings, wainscoting, antique wall sconces, clinker brick, beautiful glazed tile in bathrooms, etc.

Reply to
Baylynx

I think that a "kit" house would be something like a "Sears" house - Google for more info.

Sears houses we often bungalows, typical of the "arts & crafts" architecture of the 1920's.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

That's what I had in mind.

So I was close, although maybe not in the case I was looking at.

Thanks. I like being close.

Reply to
mm

It would be something like this:

All Sears houses are kit houses, and many Sears houses are arts & crafts in style. All in all, very few arts and crafts houses are Sears houses (or kits by others). Arts and crafts is a predominant architecture in my part of Wisconsin, but I have only seen one Sears house here.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake