article on hauling w short bed truck

I saw an article in the past year or two where someone devised an adjustable keeper / hold-down for hauling sheet-goods in a less-than-8 ft. truck bed. Now I can't find the article, nor any reference to it here, or in an online article index (woodindex.com).

Anyone know another online index, or better yet, the article's origin? Thanks.

Reply to
tsw632

That was on Wood magazine I think, it may could be in American Woodworkers too, since these are two magazine I read and I saw that article. Not build it though, I use a robe on my short bed. Surely it was in one of these two. take a look at

you may find it, if no one has the correct link. Thanks Max N

Reply to
mnadjari

I think I remember that thing, because of the total Rube Goldberg overkill of it.

If I'm hauling one or two sheets in my Toyota Tacoma, I simply put the gate up and load the sheets at an angle. For a sheet of very delicate stuff (say raw laminate), I might pick up a few 2x4's or 2'x 8' MDF shelves as I constantly need that stuff anyway. Even 1/4" MDF has proven fine loaded this way all by itself.

If I'm hauling quite a few sheets, I use 2x8's in the bed indentations to hold the sheets at wheel well height. The same web straps I keep in the truck for everything else then get attached from the trailer hitch receiver or bumper to the gate latch hooks on the sides of the bed. The straps keep everything from sliding out.

The device I'm thinking of was made of interlocking plywood members, and would take time and money to make, space to store, and time to reassemble and disassemble when needed, all to solve a non-problem.

I've hauled plenty of thin sheets, drywall, raw laminate, etc... with no damage whatsoever.

Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

Buying a blue 2004 Tundra and dropping the gate sounds like a simpler solution ;). But yes, the nylon straps with the built-in ratcheting come-along tightener are a must for holding down up to 39 sheets of

1/2" drywall. DAMHIKT.

O'Deen - still taping/mudding in Whittier, CA

Reply to
Odeen

You didn't trade a Volkswagen Jetta with broken suspension for it, did you?

I like Tundras, but the '05 Tacoma Access cab is the perfect size for me. I've got a 5x10 enclosed trailer for bigger stuff. My truck is a year old, and I'm really liking the plastic bed and standard tie-down rail system.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Why not simply lay the tail gate down and put the panels on the floor. Works for me.

Reply to
Leon

I remember when I had a pickup...sniff, sniff, tear, tear. Had to give mine up to fit the baby's car seat in the back. I feel like such a women when I goto the Borg now. Usually try to order from the local lumberyard, they have free delivery, but that usually involves planning ahead more than 1 hour.

I agree with Barry, keep the tail up, and rest the sheets on top. Wind sheer and a nylon tie down keeps everything put.

Chuck who likes his explorer but buys a pickup the minute the youngest gets out of his car seat.

Reply to
Woodchuck34

I had the same problem, so I traded in my Ram 1500 for a Ram 1500 Quad Cab

4X4. Plenty of room for the two kids. :)
Reply to
Locutus

Hey, stop showing off your truck, they guy is looking a link to the article, not what type of truck you have.

Reply to
mnadjari

That's what club cabs are for.

Mark & Juanita

Thanks All. Just narrowing it down to the correct magazine will get me there.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

tsw632

They must have cheap gas where you are.

Reply to
RayV

Cabela's sells this extend a truck hitch, which plugs into your receiver and provides a flat tie down surface. Go to Cabela's site and search this item number:

Extend-A-Truck Hitch Item:IG-512499

If you adjust the height to have the plywood rest > Thanks All. Just narrowing it down to the correct magazine will get me > there.

Reply to
Pig

Just pointing out that you dont have to get rid of your truck just because you have kids...

Reply to
Locutus

$2.30 a gallon today... not too cheap. :)

the 12mpg sucks, but it's only money.

Reply to
Locutus

$2.17 last fillup.

My Ranger 4x4 doesn't do any better in the winter (kid is grown and gone) but a little better in the summer (maybe 16 around town).

Reply to
Keith Williams

But it's your only money. I just got rid of my 2.0 Probe stick shift and bought a 4.8 auto 4x4 full size GMC. Haven't had to gas it up yet...

Reply to
RayV

4.8 shouldnt be too bad... since I pull a travel trailer I went with the 5.9L. Should see my mpg when pulling the trailer. Around 5-6 mpg. :)
Reply to
Locutus

Harbor Freight also has such a device. I have one, and I've used it a few times to haul a 24' (12' collapsed) in my short bed full size truck. It takes the extra bounce out of it, and gives another means for tying it down.

Reply to
toolmiser

I made something like that from leftover 3/4" oak flooring planed to

1/2" thick and laminated.

It fits into my trailer hitch and provides a flat "whale tail" about

18" behind and level with the lowered tailgate. I used to use it to carry 12-14' hardwood and 14' kayaks in a 6'3" Toyota pickup bed. The tail ends up about 10' back from the front bed wall and provides a very convenient place to strap or shrink wrap the load to the truck.

The store bought version would be very worthwhile if used a lot. I built one, because I had the flooring laying around, and knew it was a temporary solution until someone finally developed an overhead rack for the new Toyota bed. It actually worked well, taking all the bounce out of the load, and making it extremely easy to secure!

Yakima and Thule also make similar devices.

I don't use the whale tail device since I've added a Thule Xsporter rack to the truck and adapted an American van roof rack to the trailer.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y