Applying the P-word to kitchen cabinets

The house in which I currently live is an older house and the kitchen cabinets are fairly dark and dingy and SWMBO has it in her mind that we need to paint them as a low-cost way to really brighten up the kitchen. While I certainly agree that they are dingy the problem is that they are fairly nice cabinets and the doors are made of either cherry or maple and are bookmatched. Some real care and craftsmanship went into their construction. I don't have the time or interest in refinishing them right now but the thought of painting them really doesn't sit vey well with me and I appear to have lost the "let's just leave them alone" argument. I know that it is too late to save them for me but possibly not for the next owner (should we sell). My question is, does anyone know of a coating or primer that I can apply prior to painting them that will make subsequent removal easier should the need arise?

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Larry Fox

We painted the carcasses and refinished just the doors. The contrast looks nice and was much easier than refinishing everything and better looking than painting everything.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

shellac

Reply to
Bridger

Wow, except for the fact that our cabinets are oak, this could have been written by me (thought it might have been until I saw the name at the bottom). Being that I don't like oak (especially dark oak) I have given in to SWMBO too. Think I will try the shellac route also. But... if it makes it easier to remove when you want to, will it also make it easier to remove when you don't want to? In other words, will the paint wear off more easily?

-Chris

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Larry, Most of the grime and darkening on kitchin cabinets is from built up grease and dirt. Give this a try; remove all the hardware from one of the cabinets and rub the carcass and door down with 0000 steel wool dipped in hand cleaner (Goop, GO JO etc. without pumice). You will be absolutely amazed at the results. Wipe clean with a damp cloth and allow to dry. Wax with a good paste wax the next day. Scott.

Reply to
Scott McAuley

No, it will not cause the paint to wear off more easily. Shellac is the main ingredient in many of the stain killing primer/sealer products for use prior to painting.

Nova