Anyone know of good uses for old 2-liter bottles?

That, and variations on exploding pop bottles that rely on dry ice, liquid nitrogen or vinegar and baking soda are all considered ex- plosive devices under Federal Law. Not being concerned with such issues as common sense, the feds may well prosecute, seeking prison time.

It is surprising that the BATF has interpreted Federal Law to exclude 'spud guns' from regulation.

And heat, which helps to soften grease.

Aluminum is amphiprotic. When it reacts with HCl, what are the products? I'd expect to get AlCl2 + H2.

The reaction with lye is _quite_ energetic and does, as you note, produce hydrogen. Hydrocloric acid and zinc is a gentler way to produce hydrogen.

Reply to
fredfighter
2Al + 6HCl --> 2AlCl3 + 3 H2 sorry, no subscripts for email but 2Al + 6OH- --> Al2O3 + 3 H2O

so the reaction with acid produces hydrogen gas

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

The proper equation

process
so the reaction with acid produces hydrogen gas

Aluminum chlorhydrate - anti perspirant.

George

I would suggest that you review your inorganic chemistry before pontificating.

Aluminum metal reacts with either strong base or strong acid to produce hydrogen.

Reply to
Unknown

When producing a gas, more molecules are being made. The number of collisions the molecules make against their container makes pressure. Therefore, the more molecules made, the more collisions occur, creating a greater pressure. When the gas is fed into the upside down test tube, the bubbles of gas create a pressure which pushes the water out of the test tube.

The hydrogen gas now in the test tube is flammable. So when I hold the tube over the flame, the hydrogen gas ignites and creates a popping sound. It is like a tiny bomb or fireworks.

Al + NaOH ---> H2 + Al3+ + Na+

H2 + O2 ---> H2O + energy"

The first reaction isn't balanced, where did the O go? The explanation says Al reacts with water; where is that reaction? No problem with the second rxn, but it produces water, rather than reacting with it.

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Screw the cap onto an empty bottle and you have a great dog toy.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

Read for understanding. Note the sodium tetrahydroxoaluminate product.

also the amount of water bound in the chlorhydrate in the second. That's a reaction, too.

Reactions with acids are slowed because of the self-protective coat of oxide that makes aluminum so useful in exposure to the elements and carbonic acid (Pepsi). That's why I said you wanted (K)(Na)OH for punch in Hydrogen production.

Reply to
George

That rxn I can accept, but it certainly isn't what you listed first.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Al

Actually the reaction is between aluminum and water. The NaOH just dissolves the protective oxide coating. You will note in your reaction (above) that the sodium does not change valence.

2 Al + 6 H2O ---> 2 Al(OH)3 + 3 H2

This can be demonstrated with a trace of mercury on the aluminum surface. With mercury present the reaction goes until you run out of aluminum or water. This reaction runs using moisture in the air.

Reply to
Unknown