Anybody ever use those interlocking floor tiles?

Like these?

'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

A friend of mine recently told me that Target (or maybe it was Walmart) carries these. You could inspect them up close. Or even buy a pack...probably comes in 2 or 4.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I know. I was looking at the recycled ones and they were less. Either way I was under $2000. That isn't cheap but this is a new house I'm building and somehow putting it into the overall cost seems to justify it. I just always wanted a shop floor that was really clean looking. The link I gave is just an example. There are others out there that are less expensive. I don't know what more money gets you. Right now I just wanted to see if it was even doable with the casters used on tools.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Reply to
Never Enough Money

There's also a product that is essentially the underlying poly "cleats" part of DriCore, over which you can do your own subfloor of whatever material you choose. Comes in a roll, needs taping at the seams (easy to do). Sorry, can't remember the name off the top of my head; daughter and SIL used it. They got it at either HD or Rona (Canada). I'm sure you'd find it at any large building supply place.

Reply to
Doug Payne

These are much cheaper and much better.... One or two per machine.

will greatly reduce fatigue. They can moved out of the way and can be washed. They also snap together to make larger arrangements.

Never Enough M> Just went to their quote page. For my roughly 24x28 garage, it comes to

Reply to
Pat Barber

How about just putting the tiles down where you walk, leave the tools on the concrete floor.

Reply to
Lee K

Costco offer a similar product that seems to work out at around $2.50/sq ft.

interested you might want to try waiting a while -- I'm pretty certain they have mailed out discount coupons on this item, 3 or 4 times over the past couple of years.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Yeah, like a real wood floor. '~)

Reply to
Leon

In my area of northern California, DriCore is about $7.00 for a 2'x2' square, or $ 1.75/sf. There is a minimum order of 120 pieces.

Tin Woodsmn

Reply to
TinWoodsmn

I want the tools to be able to be wheeled around.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Wow, $5.65/sf for the garage! I could get some really nice bamboo (appr. $2/ft) or hardwood flooring for less.

Reply to
# Fred #

"jtpr" wrote in VCT usually runs less than a dollar per SF and will stand up to a lot of abuse. Heavy impacts will chip it though.

I recently refloored part of my shop (the non-dusty, hand-tool only area) on the cheap, but it came out pretty good. I laid down sheets of 3/4 MDF over foam pad over concrete. Ship-lapped, glued edges for a monolithic slab, then epoxy sealed the whole thing. I was worried about the MDF and moisture but it doesn't seem to be an issue. The floor feels much nicer than concrete after a long day, especially if it's cold. Probably ran me less than $.75 per sf.

-G

news: snipped-for-privacy@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
High Score

So if they need to cross an area with tiles, lift the tiles out of the way. How often do you need to wheel your tools around?

Reply to
Lee K

Contact Tuffseal and ask Them.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Why not try vct floor tile like in grocery stores and hospitals? I install this for a living so I know it will hold up in shop use. We have put it in factories in the QC rooms and offices. It is also a lot cheaper than those interlocking tiles which I think your tools would leave impressions in. I have it in my basement in a black and white checkerboard pattern. Once that suff is down its pretty hard to destroy. They come in boxes of 45 square feet for around 30 bucks. All my buddies have it in their garages also. They make this stuff in at least 50 colors so their should be something you would like. Here is a few links of the differnt colors

?item_id=381&category=vct>> I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement

Reply to
buick 58

If that's the same stuff used in hospitals,etc,etc that is awfully tough stuff.

What about slipp> Why not try vct floor tile like in grocery stores and hospitals? I install

Pat Barber