Any Of You Do Anything Like This?

Can't do that... I've got all sorts of free baseball caps from work, but if I wear them, I can watch my hairline recede a bit every day. It's kind of amazing, really- but I'm not quite ready to look like one of those guys from those old kung-fu movies.

Sure thing. It took a bit of getting used to for me, but that's what I'm accustomed to now for quick sketches. Of course, if I'm drawing up plans, I still use the old quad pad and a ruler.

Reply to
Prometheus

Thu, Jun 2, 2005, 5:11am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) sayeth: Of course, if I'm drawing up plans, I still use the old quad pad and a ruler.

Plans? Plans? We don' need no steenkin' plans. LOL

For myself, a few measurements, maybe a rough sketch or two, usually does. I seldom, if ever, make any sort of detailed sketch, for my own projects - altho I do sometimes write notes, so I'll know what my sketches mean, later. If I were making plans for someone else to use (perish the thought, let'em find their own damn plan), I'd probably go into more detail, but still freehand it. Making plans for sale, that might be different. I don't know if I'd opt for a computer-type thingy or not. More likely I'd just draft them out, and get copies made, learned drafting in high school, and still remember how it goes.

Yeah, I know drafting would take longer, and all that, but as I wouldn't be depending on selling plans for a living, that's what I'd prefer. It's what I know how to do, it works, it's satisfying. And, I wouldn't need to invest more than a few $ for whatever I need, as opposed to probably dropping hundreds, maybe thousands, of $ for computer stuff. Actually, I have been thinking about trying to sell a plan or two, but I wouldn't need to buy any supplies to do that, so the only extra cost involved would be the copying.

But, yeah, if I was depending on making a living drafting and selling plans, I might well go with compuer stuff. It would depend on a lot of variables, if that would be more cost effective than just plain old drafting; but if it came to making a living from it, then that's an option I would definitely be willing to consider. However, for now, a pencil does it all.

JOAT Reality is not mandatory, it's just an option.

Reply to
J T

I get edgy without the plan drawn up. Last time I did that, I ended up with a table with two left feet! Luckily, the wife liked it that way, so it became her bedside table, and I kept the good one. :) Seems like when I build without the plan ready, I either don't finish the project, or make stupid mistakes. I imagine experience helps with winging it in the long run.

I still prefer drafting by hand to CAD and the like as well. Looks like I'm going to have to learn CAD anyhow, though. The HR guy at work said today that if I can get that down cold, he'll promote me to engineering rather than just running the saws and other fab equipment.

Actually, I sort of think the old paper method of laying out plans works better in a lot of ways. Probably just because I'm used to it, and I like to stack the paper over a light to make sure things line up. (Yeah, I know about wire-frames in CAD, they're just not as fun.)

Reply to
Prometheus

Reply to
nospambob

Yep. Get good with cad and yu'll not go back.

That's where cad got "layers" from.

Reply to
CW